bit-tech.net

Old 12th Feb 2013, 14:04   #1
Prime
Multimodder

Prime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Which Nikon Lens

Hi,

I am in a conundrum as to which lens to buy.

I would like to replace my rather tired 18-55mm lens. The lens came with my D50 and has become rather floppy. As I am a student on a limited budget, i mostly buy second hand lenses.

My local camera shop currently has several lenses that would be a good fit but I'm a little lost on what to get.

My current gear is a Nikon D50, 50mm F1.8D, 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G and an 18-55mm F3.5 - 5.6G ED (1) lens. I also have a Nikon extension tube. In the long term I want to get an ultrawide zoom and a new body funds willing

Which would be a good investment?

AF 35-70mm f2.8D
AF-S 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR
AF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D

They also have a D40 and 18-55mm kit lens for the same price.

Any advice would be appreciated?
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 14:47   #2
eddie_dane
Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

eddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Hi,

I am in a conundrum as to which lens to buy.

I would like to replace my rather tired 18-55mm lens. The lens came with my D50 and has become rather floppy. As I am a student on a limited budget, i mostly buy second hand lenses.

My local camera shop currently has several lenses that would be a good fit but I'm a little lost on what to get.

My current gear is a Nikon D50, 50mm F1.8D, 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G and an 18-55mm F3.5 - 5.6G ED (1) lens. I also have a Nikon extension tube. In the long term I want to get an ultrawide zoom and a new body funds willing

Which would be a good investment?

AF 35-70mm f2.8D
AF-S 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR
AF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D

They also have a D40 and 18-55mm kit lens for the same price.

Any advice would be appreciated?
I have the 35-70mm lens and without knowing what you really want to shoot, I can tell you that this is a great lens from an investment standpoint. I purchased one second hand years ago because I needed something to fill in the gap between my 17-35 and my 70-200 and Nikon had just come out with the new 24-70 but it was way to expensive. My plan was to buy this lens until I could get the 24-70. I've never really thought about it since.

It's not going to be a "wide" lens on your D50 but it is a great all-rounder and is one of my go-to lenses for portraits. It's built like a tank. It can be prone to flaring. I purchased a rubber hood for mine to help with that.
<specofdust>More later, I have to go do something forbidden now
shutterdoggy.com
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:16   #3
Prime
Multimodder

Prime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_dane View Post
I have the 35-70mm lens and without knowing what you really want to shoot, I can tell you that this is a great lens from an investment standpoint. I purchased one second hand years ago because I needed something to fill in the gap between my 17-35 and my 70-200 and Nikon had just come out with the new 24-70 but it was way to expensive. My plan was to buy this lens until I could get the 24-70. I've never really thought about it since.

It's not going to be a "wide" lens on your D50 but it is a great all-rounder and is one of my go-to lenses for portraits. It's built like a tank. It can be prone to flaring. I purchased a rubber hood for mine to help with that.
Thanks. I am kinda leaning towards the 35-70mm as well. (Although they have two at different prices so I need to find out why)

Um, I shoot all sorts:

I tend to shoot candids of people rather than portraits.
Some landscape but a fair amount of scenery, nature, events.
I'm also doing the photography for our solar car project.

I use my camera for holiday shots, work and our solar car project - where I am one of the designated photographers, family and fun.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 20:55   #4
JazzXP
Eh! Steve

JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The only problem with the 35-70 is that it won't autofocus on your camera body.

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

there is no such thing as "Fool-Proof" just "Idiot resistant" - Pflumingo
JazzXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 21:07   #5
dead beat
Rippin six 4 life

dead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
With that focal range, surely the 35-70mm is more suited to FX. You will lose so much at the wide end on a DX camera if you go for that lens.

When I upgraded my 18-55 kit lens, I went for the 17-55mm f2.8 which is superb, however this lens is rather expensive. Out of the lenses that you have listed, I would say that the 18-105 would be the most usable on your camera, but without a budget, it is hard to suggest an alternative.
ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme Z77 | Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1Ghz | 4x Radeon R9 290s Quadfire | 8GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM @ 1866Mhz | Corsair AX1200 PSU | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD's | Dimastech Easy bench Dual V2.5 | Dell 3007 WFP-HC 30" monitor | Custom dual radiator waterloop
Photography gear: Nikon D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII | Nikkor 35mm F2/D | Nikkor 50mm 1.8D | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikon TC-14E II | SB-700 Speedlight
dead beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 21:24   #6
fathazza
Freed on Probation

fathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfathazza has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzXP View Post
It will actually

I may be fat but at least I am not Ginger
"The President is no longer a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who epitomises the arrogance of American foreign policy" - Boris Johnson
fathazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 00:16   #7
eddie_dane

eddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for presidenteddie_dane should be considered for president
Yeah, the D50 has a focussing motor. That and the high flash sync speeds are why I still use mine.
shutterdoggy.com
Old 13th Feb 2013, 06:19   #8
Prime
Multimodder

Edit: That too ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzXP View Post
It will. That is one of the great things about the D50 The D40 on the other hand
Old 13th Feb 2013, 09:10   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Some landscape but a fair amount of scenery, nature, events.
I'm also doing the photography for our solar car project.
You will struggle to shoot landscape without wide angle.

35mm on a DX is more or less 50mm, your field of view will be very narrow.

I'd go with 18-105mm. it's not a fast lens, but it is a modern lens with VR, it should perform well in most situations. You've got the 50/1.8 when need faster shutter in low light situations.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 13:23   #10
GregTheRotter
I Mod, Therefore I Own

GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I cant understand why anyone wanta 35-70mm lens on a DX body tbh. Personally I'd either try to pick up a used 18-55 VR, or go for the 18-105 VR.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 15:52   #11
eddie_dane

Like I said. For a lot of types of work, the 35-70 might not fit the bill. I have used it many, many times as a portrait/short tele on DX bodies. I was testifying as an owner to it's image and build quality. I don't have any experience with the other two so I didn't have anything to add.

It also may help that another reason why I got the 35-70 is that I knew that I would be moving to FX soon so being able to use it on either was a big bonus. I use it about 50% on my FX body (which makes sense - since this lens was developed for 35mm film bodies back in the day).

edit: Also, the push-pull zoom design of this took some time to get used to. It's totally a non-issue now but it broke my brain when I first got it.
shutterdoggy.com
Old 13th Feb 2013, 16:06   #12
Prime
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead beat View Post
With that focal range, surely the 35-70mm is more suited to FX. You will lose so much at the wide end on a DX camera if you go for that lens.

When I upgraded my 18-55 kit lens, I went for the 17-55mm f2.8 which is superb, however this lens is rather expensive. Out of the lenses that you have listed, I would say that the 18-105 would be the most usable on your camera, but without a budget, it is hard to suggest an alternative.
I didn't give a budget because i don't know how rands here will translate into pounds in terms of cameras.

My budget is R3000 which is the cost of a second hand SB 900 (roughly)

http://www.kameraz.com/second_hand.html Should give you an idea of second hand prices here.

the 17-55 is out of budget. I looked at it.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 16:16   #13
dead beat
Rippin six 4 life

dead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
I didn't give a budget because i don't know how rands here will translate into pounds in terms of cameras.

My budget is R3000 which is the cost of a second hand SB 900 (roughly)

http://www.kameraz.com/second_hand.html Should give you an idea of second hand prices here.

the 17-55 is out of budget. I looked at it.
Well in that case, as I stated before, I would suggest the 18-105 as the most sensible option.
ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme Z77 | Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1Ghz | 4x Radeon R9 290s Quadfire | 8GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM @ 1866Mhz | Corsair AX1200 PSU | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD's | Dimastech Easy bench Dual V2.5 | Dell 3007 WFP-HC 30" monitor | Custom dual radiator waterloop
Photography gear: Nikon D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII | Nikkor 35mm F2/D | Nikkor 50mm 1.8D | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikon TC-14E II | SB-700 Speedlight
dead beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:17   #14
Prime
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead beat View Post
Well in that case, as I stated before, I would suggest the 18-105 as the most sensible option.
yes, sorry I was trying to leave the office, didn't have time to answer your post as well.

I think I am going to go with the 18-105 lens. I will go mad without the width. Though I do prefer the build quality in fx lenses.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 20:49   #15
JazzXP
Eh! Steve

JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!JazzXP - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Edit: That too ^^

It will. That is one of the great things about the D50 The D40 on the other hand
Well... crap.... hahahaha, here I was thinking the D50 sat between the D40 and the D60... silly me!

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

there is no such thing as "Fool-Proof" just "Idiot resistant" - Pflumingo
JazzXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2013, 11:22   #16
Prime
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_dane View Post
Like I said. For a lot of types of work, the 35-70 might not fit the bill. I have used it many, many times as a portrait/short tele on DX bodies. I was testifying as an owner to it's image and build quality. I don't have any experience with the other two so I didn't have anything to add.

It also may help that another reason why I got the 35-70 is that I knew that I would be moving to FX soon so being able to use it on either was a big bonus. I use it about 50% on my FX body (which makes sense - since this lens was developed for 35mm film bodies back in the day).

edit: Also, the push-pull zoom design of this took some time to get used to. It's totally a non-issue now but it broke my brain when I first got it.
I like push pull zooms. I find them intuitive. I have an Series E 70-210 zoom and you can zoom and focus in one action

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheRotter View Post
I cant understand why anyone wanta 35-70mm lens on a DX body tbh. Personally I'd either try to pick up a used 18-55 VR, or go for the 18-105 VR.
As much as the optics are good on the 18-55, I don't feel enamoured by the build quality and durability. Plus the front element rotates which is infuriating with a filter

I went with the 18-105.

Thanks for the advice