bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Feb 2013, 21:29   #21
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
For those who bought it, since BTs review was done on the PS3, this is from IGN

"Lastly, the PC version doesnít suffer from the same shoddy texture work and screen tearing as its console counterparts. However, this isnít exactly cutting edge either in terms of being a 2013 release. Itís a game designed for DirectX 9 and doesnít really feature any cutting edge visual flourishes - in fact the video settings menu is effectively limited to a few detail sliders and an FXAA toggle. This is certainly not a game for graphics setting tweakers."
Old 12th Feb 2013, 22:05   #22
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
For those who bought it, since BTs review was done on the PS3, this is from IGN

"Lastly, the PC version doesnít suffer from the same shoddy texture work and screen tearing as its console counterparts. However, this isnít exactly cutting edge either in terms of being a 2013 release. Itís a game designed for DirectX 9 and doesnít really feature any cutting edge visual flourishes - in fact the video settings menu is effectively limited to a few detail sliders and an FXAA toggle. This is certainly not a game for graphics setting tweakers."
There are areas on the PC version where the designers haven't been bothered to texture anything.. Hadley's Hope for example. It's like 3dfx all over again.
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 22:26   #23
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I just had a few rounds on Team Death Match and found playing as a Xeno loads of fun! You just gotta be sneaky.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 02:00   #24
lysaer
Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.
I gotta say, I see nothing wrong with this game, it is atmospheric, the graphics are absolutely fine on the pc , the music is intense, playing on ultimate badass without a HUD makes it even more challenging and you constantly feel like there is something breathing down your neck.

I am not really sure what else was to be expected, it feels and looks like aliens to me

I think review sites have been incredibly unfair on this game, it seems like you've all just spam copy and pasted each others review and no one has actually really played it.

Why are we getting PS3 reviews anyways, surely a PC review would be more apt for this site.
lysaer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 02:04   #25
Grimloon
Usually bugnuts

Grimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run Crysis
I'm playing through the single player campaign at the moment and I'll be giving the co-op campaign mode a go on Sunday. It's no AvP/2 and the graphics are more than a little dated by current standards. I haven't noticed the poor animation on the aliens yet as I've been too busy shooting them as fast as I see them and watching the gibbage. They do a wierd freeze once they've clobbered you up close though -one hit out of nowhere then they stand and look at you. It's almost as if they want to be walloped with the gun and then take a shotgun blast to the face, go figure!

It's worth about £10, £15 at most (certainly not £40) but it's not as dire as I expected from the review. I'm probably a touch biased as I'm a die hard fan of the films (except this mythical beast known as "Alien 3" - no such creature, it simply doesn't exist) but I've played a lot worse and paid more for them (a pre order dating back to 2008 has some benefits).

One thing I do agree 100% with the review - get rid of the [insert preferred expletive here] motion tracker icon and audible warning It completely ruins any suspense there might have otherwise been. The marine campaign on AvP (1999) was brown trousers time, this is more like "Oh look, something's going to attack soon. I suppose I ought to check where it is".

Some of the challenges are a bit odd too - melee kill 5 aliens in a mission? Really? Have you even seen the films Mr Game Designer? I guess that'll be a "No" then - fleshy meatbag with gun vs perfect close combat killing machine in hand to hand = "You've got red on you" - and it's your own. Not "Go me! I just killed an alien by prodding it with the shooty bit of my gun!"

TL, DR: It's almost like a game version of a B movie Aliens only it isn't quite crap enough. "meh" is about the nicest comment I can make. I'll probably give the multiplayer a go for the hell of it.
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 08:00   #26
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
never been soooo disappointed in a longgggg time :'(
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 08:05   #27
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Definitely a bargin bin aquisition.

PC Gamer had the best desciption I've seen so far, "a swing and a miss", I figure this will drop in price just like MoH warfighter did which I got for £12 from my local games shop.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 08:11   #28
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Could have been great...disappointing.

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 09:16   #29
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Is it out on WiiU yet? Apparently, the motion tracker stays on your controller and freaks you out as you keep having to look down at it and then back up to the screen. I like the sound of that and could be the real reason for this release if it works.

As for the "Alien3" comment, watch them all together now including the intended David Fincher version and the stinker in the pile is unbelievably "Aliens" and Cameron's shoddy work.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 09:38   #30
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You can turn off the on sceen hint and audible warning to use the motion tracker.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:15   #31
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBsimDxMRw
Old 13th Feb 2013, 11:05   #32
x5pilot
Fragile explosion

x5pilot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One thing I learned over several years is game reviews are the opinion of individuals.
Having seen all sorts of reviews earn both questionably high and low ratings on various sites, I still intend to buy the game and form my own opinion - I've been looking forward to this game for a while, its not like I'm now going to ignore just because of this review.
x5pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 12:25   #33
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Erm, its not just this review, it appears to just about all of them that say its a missed opportunity. However I will still buy it but not until the price drops by quite a bit.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 13:16   #34
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
(except this mythical beast known as "Alien 3" - no such creature, it simply doesn't exist) .
Alien 3 is a brilliant film, you just have to get past the fact that it is a lot different from Aliens.
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 18:00   #35
towelie
How do I Internet!!

towelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltowelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No where near as bad as the reviews make out, so many good reference to the old movie and online as aliens is so fun.
Hard Drives:50GB SSD OCZ Sandforce driver/1TB WD Green 7200RPM
Case:NZXT 810 Switch Black
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:10   #36
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MP is decent tbh but SP is pretty laughable. Even co-op doesn't make it much fun. I'd say a missing opportunity but not as awful as some are making out
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 21:28   #37
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the series, and liked Borderlands 2, so this was really hard not to pre-purchase, but I didn't want another Homefront situation, now, I'm glad I waited. Sounds like they are going to have some really angry customers.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 00:05   #38
Oggyb
Mutant

Oggyb has yet to learn the way of the DremelOggyb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just FYI, "Scalectrix" should be Scalextric http://www.scalextric.com/ and "slither" should be "sliver".

Agree with the above re PC-orientated site with a review of the PS3 version.
Oggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 14:04   #39
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
and "license" should be "licence".
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 20:14   #40
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstteevveenn View Post
and "license" should be "licence".
Should?