bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 20th Feb 2013, 21:42   #1
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Rasberry Pi Competition: epA eparG

What?
...anyway. I've had an idea for what to do with my bountiful scrapheap for some time now. BitTech has supplied a perfect reason to play with the concept.

-Also I've had the saw set up in the winter jungle for tile work. It was like the planets lined up or something...

-First, I take some scraps and cut them into little strips. I'm sticking with a glassgreen/blue/purple/and some red color scheme.

-Glue strips into bigger strips...

-Strips into plates... Do you see a theme yet?

-I had to cheat and mill the edges clean so I can make a box-thing.

-I added some sides plates. Here you can see my high-tech R PI stand-in made from an old sticky note.

-Here I've started putting together the other sides.

-Did I mention I'm getting help from yet another new toy. Someone cornered me into a crazy project that required it, It'll be useful here too.

-I had a butt of a time getting some red into the picture. I'll add some to the inside later to balance out.

-I've stepped up to a super-high tech version of my Pi stand-in.

-Next up is more milling. I'm posting today 'cause the saw was borrowed again. I may have to get creative with the last bits.
( limestone dust everywhere. what a slob.)
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 23:47   #2
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Grape Ape nice use of scraps.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2013, 08:08   #3
tekonivel
Multimodder

tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Good to see you decided to jump in the comp. Looking good.
Good luck for the competition.
Old 24th Feb 2013, 13:20   #4
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking forward to seeing how that machines, with the strips of colour it should look pretty cool

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2013, 18:14   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks.
@Waynio - Thanks for saving me from page 2.
@tekonivel - I can't pass up a contest like this. I fear The Wet Pi was posted too soon. We may lose a lot of contestants because they know we will all lose.
@Asouter - It does well, 'cept for the white strips. They have a lot lower melting point than the other stuff.
Old 24th Feb 2013, 18:17   #6
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cheapskate, where is the update?

I am following this log and can't wait to see more.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 18:49   #7
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
NiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiCE! Glad we could give you the excuse to mod, even if it's the smallest project you've worked on cheaps! Will be following this one!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 19:09   #8
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Aw, shucks. Now I have to work faster. Thanks, guys.
Old 4th Mar 2013, 05:21   #9
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Those rainbow panels are a nice start Cheaps.

Looking forward to this quick build.
Old 4th Mar 2013, 09:42   #10
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Cheapskate, where is the update?

I am following this log and can't wait to see more.
This is Cheaps we're talking about here - he'll still be working on this mod loooooooong after the competition has finished

Cheapskate, when you say you want to get more red into the design, bear in mind that the Pi's main power light is a reasonably bright red LED (I think).
Old 4th Mar 2013, 18:19   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Ah, There's the red, then. I didn't think they had a power indicator on it.
I will try to finish on time. Just yesterday I was milling a bunch of elaborate pockets in the top, only to find I'd spent most of the time cutting air.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 20:57   #12
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

My fixture technique will be sandwiching the PCB edges between the lid and the base in a neatly milled pocket. -Of course, I don't have a PI to prove it works...

-I sanded the top, (bottom?) down to an inch in height, then clamped her in the mill.

-Then I milled everything down clean and even.

-Then I spent a small eternity milling a dozen pockets in the main cavity. 90 Percent of that time the bit was waving around in open space.

-I used my printed model to figure out where I could put screw holes. I only need two. It's not like this thing needs to be shot out of a cannon or anything...

-I didn't need to drag the drill press out for it either. It's much easier to sit on the floor like a ten year old and drill. You will note that I still managed to keep my feet out of the shot.

This is what happens when you use a power sander on extruded plexi. I keep forgetting the white stock I have was cheap because it was 'struded. Little moments like this remind me.

-I clamped it all together and gave it a quick and dirty polish.
Next up, I need to drill and file out the ports.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 22:01   #13
Father-Time
Multimodder

Father-Time has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good cheap
Gotta love the drill that tells you which setting to use for which screw
The colouring of the plexi/acrylic has come out really well, its a good blend, i like it
Old 14th Mar 2013, 22:12   #14
Phame
Hukkel's sex slave

Phame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Sexeh! Looking good Cheaps!
Phame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 14:56   #15
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks.

@Father- I'd much rather have the trigger from my older drills. They had fantastic speed control.
-I might try to re-fit them with modern batteries some day.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 16:01   #16
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
All those levels of colour look really good, I wonder if there's some process where you could melt all those layers together so that they swirl (psychedelic looking) like an old 70's album cover ?

looking good though Cheeps

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 20:48   #17
Ragequit
What's a Dremel?

Ragequit has yet to learn the way of the DremelRagequit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good! Love the humor you put into your updates, and well, everything you say everywhere. You make this forum a happier place!
Ragequit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 22:00   #18
AverageNinja
Almost an EpicNinja

AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice one cheaps! Can't wait for MOAR!
AverageNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2013, 19:35   #19
tekonivel
Multimodder

tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Good work Cheaps!
Old 17th Mar 2013, 00:32   #20
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks, guys
@Asouter - Plexi bubbles up when it gets close to the melting point. It stinks like mad at that point, so someone else will have to hot cast it.
@Ragequit - Humor?

View Mode