bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 23rd Feb 2013, 01:02   #1
jazzzyj
Supermodder

jazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Replace relay with transistors

Hi guys.
I have a need for this following circuit, but it currently uses a automotive relay. I want to make it solid state, and so also quite a bit smaller.

The 12 volt source from the left is controlled by a switch. This is driving a solenoid on the right. The square box. Solenoid has dual coils, one to "open" it (black connection), then the other to "hold" it (green connection).
The circuit creates a pulse for 1-2 seconds to the black wire then leaves the green wire to take over. When the 12 volts is removed from the left, the circuit resets.

Is anyone able to have a look and re-draw it to use a transistor/Mosfet instead please?
Thanks!

-J
Quad Core Q9300 running at 3.0Ghz (2.50Ghz Stock)| Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 | ASUS P5Q-E | 8GB Corsair Ram |1 x 100Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD | 1 x 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Fractal Design Define R4 | Windows 8 64-bit | ASUS Nvidia GTX 460 | Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones | Logitech THX 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers | Logitech Performance MX | Razer ne52te | LG IPS235 | Acer 1921
jazzzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 02:51   #2
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Any time ive used a solid state relay it has just had two terminals which were wired in the same manner as a regular relay. Obviously using just a mosfet would require a slight modification to the circuit.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 08:31   #3
jazzzyj
Supermodder

jazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljazzzyj has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I used to know about electronics, but my powers have escaped me.
I'm sure it is simple, but I don't know how to do it.
-J
Quad Core Q9300 running at 3.0Ghz (2.50Ghz Stock)| Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 | ASUS P5Q-E | 8GB Corsair Ram |1 x 100Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD | 1 x 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Fractal Design Define R4 | Windows 8 64-bit | ASUS Nvidia GTX 460 | Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones | Logitech THX 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers | Logitech Performance MX | Razer ne52te | LG IPS235 | Acer 1921
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 09:11   #4
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wish I could help but I only have an iPhone or iPad this weekend!
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 10:26   #5
ferret141
Ultramodder

ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
Paint it?
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 4.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 11:00   #6
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
Its ok, its not a rush. Need it soon but it will wait til after the weekend!
Thanks guys.
-J
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 12:26   #7
ShinyAli
Supermodder

ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Why not just use a SSR they are not very big

ShinyAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 12:32   #8
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Na, want to do it properly.
-J
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 17:48   #9
feedayeen
Multimodder

feedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
An all in one SSR is going to be the most reliable option and what most EEs would use. If you don't want to do that, you could use a SR flip flop. These are Set and Reset, for your application, reset would be tied it's off state leaving you with just a set. Here's a diagram.

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/#%24+...R+flip+flop%0A
feedayeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2013, 16:40   #10
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Will a SSR react in the same way as a normal relay?
The circuit I posted uses a cap to hold the pulse for a few seconds.
I would rather use a transistor as it would be smaller than a SSR wouldn't it?
-J
Old 24th Feb 2013, 17:46   #11
Boscoe

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why use an expensive SSR which is overkill. Just use transistors in emitter follower, I will draw it tonight when I get my comp.
Old 24th Feb 2013, 17:48   #12
Boscoe

What currents will you expect with the relay? I assume its 12VDC?
Old 24th Feb 2013, 18:08   #13
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Yes it's 12vdc. The momentary pulse will pull about 2.5 amps apparently.

Thanks!
-J
Old 24th Feb 2013, 22:41   #14
Boscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzyj View Post
Yes it's 12vdc. The momentary pulse will pull about 2.5 amps apparently.

Thanks!
-J
And the longer one?
Old 24th Feb 2013, 23:00   #15
Boscoe

Looking at it now I don't really understand your drawing. Here is a transistor 'switch' attached. L1 symbolizes your solenoid. attach the base of Q9 to anything above 1.5V refrence to GND and current will flow through L1 or whatever you put in L1's place. Q7 may need a small heatsink depending how long they are on with 2.5A running through it, 2.5A is really the max I would go on this. If you use a resistive or capacitive load in place of L1 you can drop D1. The solenoid is inductive so you must keep D1.

Give me some more info and I'll see what I can do. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Boscoe; 24th Feb 2013 at 23:08.
Boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2013, 23:23   #16
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Thanks for that, but yes, I think you might have mis-understood the drawing.
I have 2 coils.
They share a common +12v supply.
Coil 1 is a light draw coil and does not draw much current at all.
Coil 2 is a heavy draw coil at about 2.5 amps.

How the circuit should work:
+12v is switched on.
Both coils should energise.
2 seconds elapse.
Coil 2 de-energises.
Coil 1 remains energised.

+12v is switched off.
Coil 1 de-energises.

I hope that helps.
-J
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:47   #17
Boscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzyj View Post
Thanks for that, but yes, I think you might have mis-understood the drawing.
I have 2 coils.
They share a common +12v supply.
Coil 1 is a light draw coil and does not draw much current at all.
Coil 2 is a heavy draw coil at about 2.5 amps.

How the circuit should work:
+12v is switched on.
Both coils should energise.
2 seconds elapse.
Coil 2 de-energises.
Coil 1 remains energised.

+12v is switched off.
Coil 1 de-energises.

I hope that helps.
-J
Okay I'll draw something tonight.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:11   #18
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Cool. Thanks again.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 15:20   #19
jazzzyj
Supermodder

Any luck?
-J
Old 27th Feb 2013, 22:38   #20
Boscoe

Sorry I've been out a lot, give me 24hrs!

Tags
relay, transistor

View Mode