bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 7th Nov 2013, 14:20   #21
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
While doing daily research, I fell on something I completly forgot about : http://www.adapteva.com/parallella-board/

The Epiphany IV board from Adapteva is finally alive ! I consists on a Zynq-7010 or 7020 SOC (Dual core ARM A9) and a 16-cores FPGA (called Parallella) on the same board. It features 1GB of RAM and has 4 general purpose expansion slot .... all for only $100. A 64-cores Parallella FPGA is also planed. 60 pins GPIO is available as an option to.

This might well be a great possible option, all in a tiny form : 54mm x 87mm

http://www.parallella.org/board/

Edit: you can even build some farm with it

Last edited by GuilleAcoustic; 7th Nov 2013 at 14:27.
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 00:10   #22
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Hi guys and gals, long time since last update. The project is not abandonned and I'm tweeking both design and purpose.

I'm still thinking that combinaison of ARM and FPGA would be great. The recent article about Bunnie's open hardware laptop prove it to me. The FPGA would be used as a repurposable coprocessor (file compression, encryption, crytography, etc.)

I've found interesting SO-Dimm modules on Enclustra website : http://www.enclustra.com/en/products/

About the design itself, 3D printing is really not the way to go for large parts. So I completly redesigned the chassis and went for a minimalistic design (basically a folded aluminium sheet).

I decided to reduce the bottom row to 'spacebar' only. The right shift has been replaced by an 'alt' key. Their's still lots do be done and the chassis is not finished (missing feet for example), but I wanted to share this with you.

What do you all think ? Any advise, comment ? Hope you like it

- Guille -

Last edited by GuilleAcoustic; 30th Jan 2014 at 00:17.
Old 30th Jan 2014, 14:05   #23
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Really diggin the new design with the single sheet of aluminum. Allthough I can't say that I like keyboards without numpad, as I'm heavily using the numpad for hacking in numbers.

Building a keyboard on your own is definately something I'd like to try aswell, but I'd probably look for premade signal-converters.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2014, 00:02   #24
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Really diggin the new design with the single sheet of aluminum. Allthough I can't say that I like keyboards without numpad, as I'm heavily using the numpad for hacking in numbers.

Building a keyboard on your own is definately something I'd like to try aswell, but I'd probably look for premade signal-converters.
Thanks a lot mate, that's very welcomed . I have in mind to use a teensy++ as the controler. Their plenty of resources, libs and project logs around the web.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 01:07   #25
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yeah, I was reading some threads over at geekhack and they're using the Teensy as controller. You can download a readymade package for a keyboard to program the Teensy with.

Building a keyboard will be the hardest part tho, the rest is just strapping a NUC to the thingy afterwards

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:46   #26
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
Thanks a lot mate, that's very welcomed . I have in mind to use a teensy++ as the controler. Their plenty of resources, libs and project logs around the web.
If you want to control more than the Teensy can manage, try an Arduino Leonardo: has built-in support for acting as a USB keyboard and/or pointing device, plus it does all the usual Arduino things to boot. Could use it to toggle various LEDs, control lighting, run a small display and hot-button setup at the top-right of the keyboard like the late, lamented ACT Apricot...
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:57   #27
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
If you want to control more than the Teensy can manage, try an Arduino Leonardo: has built-in support for acting as a USB keyboard and/or pointing device, plus it does all the usual Arduino things to boot. Could use it to toggle various LEDs, control lighting, run a small display and hot-button setup at the top-right of the keyboard like the late, lamented ACT Apricot...
I already have an Arduino Mega 2560 at home I'll use for prototyping the keuboard part. The modular and stackable Microduino could be a solution too : http://microduino.cc/.

For prototyping the whole keyputer, I was thinking about the "inexpensive" Udoo (i.MX6 quad + arduino on the same board), and then try to interface it with an FPGA dev board.

Final step, if everything works, I'd like to have a real carrierboard to use FPGA and ARM module at the same time. But the $$$ will prolly become a huge issue

EDIT: That Apricot looks cool and I do love trackballs.
Old 4th Apr 2014, 13:38   #28
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Project is a little on hold at the moment. Very existing moment with Intel annoucement of the new Minnowboard.

I'm more focusing on the keyboard layout and will probably abandonned ANSI international for the more french friendly Bépo layout.

On a side road, I'm currently working (read parts been ordered and coming from overseas) on the audio parts of the project. The idea is as follow :

SOC I˛S output --> Ti BurrBrown DAC chip --> subminiature tube preamp

The DAC part will use a BurrBrown PCM63P-Y vintage chip

Subminiature tubes are just perfect for embedded audio applications and will greatly improve the sound quality (below is an example for size comparison)

Old 7th Apr 2014, 14:56   #29
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This looks very fun and interesting. Following.
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2014, 15:01   #30
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
This looks very fun and interesting. Following.
Thanks mate, I have to show some progress now
Old 24th Jul 2014, 17:15   #31
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Little update: No, the project is not dead !

The board I was looking after is finaly available: Kontron pITX-E38 (Intel Atom E3845). I'll rework the design around this board then and keep you updated.

Here are the specifications:
  • Processor — Intel Atom E3800 (Bay Trail-I) @ 524MHz, 5-10W TDP, Intel HD Graphics:
    E3845 (4x cores, 10W TDP)
    E3826 (2x cores, 7W TDP)
    E3815 (1x core, 5W TDP)
  • Memory/storage:
    Up to 8GB DDR3L-1333/1066 via 1x SODIMM
    MicroSD slot (SDXC)
    SATA 2.0 port
    mSATA connector shared with mPCIe
  • Display:
    LVDS interface (dual-channel, 24-bit) up to 1920 x 1200
    DisplayPort interface up to 2560 x 1600
    Dual independent display support
  • Networking — Gigabit Ethernet port
  • Other I/O:
    USB 3.0 port
    3x USB 2.0 (1x external, 2x internal interfaces)
    2x serial interfaces (UART 16550, 3v3 digital I/Os)
    8x GPIOs
    HD analog audio interfaces (line-in, line-out, mic-in)
    LED interfaces
  • Expansion — mPCIe 2.0 x1 interface
  • Power — 5V DC supply; internal and external lockable connector
  • Dimensions — 100 x 72mm; Pico-ITX form-factor

They are priced at 316.99€ (VAT Incl.): https://www.mini-itx.de/Pico-ITX-Pic...2::291191.html

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
Old 14th Sep 2014, 00:32   #32
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looks very interesting. Will follow!
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2014, 12:41   #33
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post
Looks very interesting. Will follow!
Thanks for the interest in my humble project, Sir. I'll post some progression on the design soon .

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A

View Mode