bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Jul 2015, 11:50   #1
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
L3p - SteigerWood - Liquidcooled Gaming HTPC - Finished!

Here a new 'little' project which I wanted to do quite a while.
My wife wanted to get rid of the black Ikea home cinema cabinet, preferred something new with scaffolding wood.
And I .. wanted a new HTPC

So why not combine with a cabinet which meets my demands..
And off course a liquid cooled HTPC / Steam Machine

This was going to be an 'off the record' build but decided to show you guys what I'm going to do

Hardware:

Steiger Dynamics ERA
Intel i5 4690K
Asus Maximus VII Impact
Asus GTX970 DirectCU Mini
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
Corsair Neutron XT 480GB
EKWB Waterblocks
EKWB Pump & Rads
Bitspower Fittings
LiHeat Pci-e Extender

Made possible by:

Last edited by l3p; 31st Dec 2016 at 16:06.
l3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2015, 16:06   #2
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
At first this wasn't going to be a build + buildlog but just 'a little job' at house and an aircooled htpc in a clean case.
Well that turned out differently .. and now I've got to catch up

First the cabinet. Longer then a year ago we had plans for a new home cinema cabinet.
A few months ago my wife came with the idea to do something with scaffolding wood as a relative creates furniture with it.

Together with my friend Mark who's really good and specially fast with sketchup we sat down a few nights.
It took quite some time before we implemented my wife her wishes and my own.
Thanks Mark!

And finally:
(Did some keyshot)

So we started on the cabinet.

Exploded view:

And the 36 parts where I had to add all measurements to make building it much easier.

All of a sudden it was in the living room
(Sawn sides and table will be finished later)

Old Ikea cabinet ready for dump.

Lets swap.

Under the hood.

Temporary up and running!

Relaxing after a long evening

Old 19th Jul 2015, 16:48   #3
Icelander
Supermodder

Icelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming SaiyanIcelander is a Super Spamming Saiyan
subbed
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2015, 17:09   #4
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Reminds me of my grandma's garage, built sometime in the 1930's and home to many splinters. -Very homy.
So, you realize that unsealed wood is absorbing cat odor even as we speak, right?
Old 19th Jul 2015, 17:17   #5
l3p
www.^.nl

Yep I know lol, it absorbes my daughters drinks too :P
However my wife has some cleaning stuff which works like brake cleaner for that.
If it really gets smelly or too much stains I'll just build a new one. Maybe with different wood.
The price for just the wood was around $50.
Old 19th Jul 2015, 21:35   #6
l3p
www.^.nl

First some pics from the ERA and the hardware.

Mau has been waiting all day for me

Love it!

And a wonderful present hidden inside the case.
Thanks Martin!!

And the hardware I will be using.

Thanks again Asus & Corsair!

Lets check the hardware first.

And a bios update from 0020 to 2702

Like a charm!

Next update .. the liquid cooling .. and stripping the case.

Old 19th Jul 2015, 22:33   #7
montymole
Rigid Tubist

montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That case is just sexual
Hex Gear R40 Black Ice http://bit.ly/1xO6eDJ
montymole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2015, 23:04   #8
Noob?
Banned

Noob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Them Steiger cases are what dreams are made of.

Shame they don't sell them on their own?

Lovely gems, remind me of the now impossible to source Omaura/Aumro HTPC cases but also quite alike to the OrigenAE ones. All them are beauts! :drool:

@l3p:
That was cheap for the wood, expensive in Blighty unless of course I'm looking in the wrong places! Mention it as the cabinet looks sturdy first of all and thwe wood is nice and chunky with a nice finish to it, well you know what I mean. Looking great as ever!

Last edited by Noob?; 19th Jul 2015 at 23:11.
Noob? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2015, 13:21   #9
l3p
www.^.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by montymole View Post
That case is just sexual
I love for these kind of cases is even from before I started modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob? View Post
Them Steiger cases are what dreams are made of.

Shame they don't sell them on their own?

Lovely gems, remind me of the now impossible to source Omaura/Aumro HTPC cases but also quite alike to the OrigenAE ones. All them are beauts! :drool:

@l3p:
That was cheap for the wood, expensive in Blighty unless of course I'm looking in the wrong places! Mention it as the cabinet looks sturdy first of all and thwe wood is nice and chunky with a nice finish to it, well you know what I mean. Looking great as ever!
They actually do

As I said above, I always loved these cases, even before modding.
So happy I was able to do the Origen AE S21T after L3p D3sk.
Now time to do something smaller

For the wood, just look for people who really want to get rid of it. prices are going up because more and more people start to make furniture of it.
Old 20th Jul 2015, 13:36   #10
l3p
www.^.nl

This update some more reading.
For this build I really needed all the material because of the space inside.
The height on the sides is 64mm and in the middle 76mm.
Lots of measuring and fitting!

First the Pci-e extenders from Li-Heat.
These do work with Gen3 and even on a 65cm length

Off course I had to see for myself with a 50cm extender

And with the 25cm extender. This is how I want to show the GPU.

And 2 other nice packages from EKWB and Corsair.

Memory where you can easily take off the heatspreaders.

Corsair Link to control the fans and lighting.

And the EK package!

Several radiators (also something for the future) to measure and fit.
(Did you know a single 180mm rad has more surface then 2x120mm? )

I often use Clear blocks but this time Acetal.

The kitchen table is ready!

Naked Nvidia GPU

And done!

Now the puzzling can start.
This way I wouldn't need to change much on the case.
(Bit scared to saw in the thick anodized brushed aluminum front panel)

Maybe do saw in frontpanel and use 50cm extender?

Still not sure about it all, I need every millimeter.
Lets strip the case even more.

There you go.

About 2mm space on all sides, products and blocks .... I think this will be it

Borrowed fittings from other project to see how the loop could go.

My first idea was, because of the height of the case, to have the loop come out of the top of the case.
But it seems that I can keep it all inside (1mm space above fittings) just not the memory block.
Looks like a challenge .. maybe skip the memory block?

Until 'somebody' offered me a solution on facebook ... more about that next time

Vacation started!
Now first further on project 'L3pipe'!
Old 20th Jul 2015, 17:30   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice. horizontal mount. I would have shaved the original down and made a manifold that bolted to the top.
Let's see...GPU power collision and an upside down pump. You're still not out of the woods yet.

Also- Holy cow! that's a big gear. -Gimmie!