bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th May 2005, 12:43   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Nvidia's G70 runs cooler

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/05...t_chip_cooler/
Old 9th May 2005, 13:50   #2
Zidane
Hypermodder

Zidane has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
call me mr silly, as most people do, but im still not impressed with this cooler.

look at it.

wouldnt it be oh so shiny if nvidia pumped the hot air out of the back of the pc (like the arctic cooler stylee) rather than back into the "cold zone" in the pc? im assuming that the gfx card will be on the lower half of the mobo, thus in the bottom of the pc, and expelling its hot air into the cold air thats going to cool our processor? looks like its gonna be blowing towards the front of the pc too, disturbing the airflow quite a lot, and on my mobo (i just checked) thats gonna make a pretty effective baffle stopping good airflow to my processor.

dont get me wrong, i like to see companies taking heat and noise into account when making new products, but somehow this strikes me as it could have been better thought out.

<defence>
ok, nvidia fanboys, go ahead and rip me to shreds now. this is my 2cents, and thats all, its not flame-bait, just what i thought when i looked at it.
</defence>

<edit>

omg. after reading my post, i just realised something. a year ago i would have been all "omgwtfkthxplz!!""!!!oneone (insert a dozen smileys)" at the thought of nvidia releaseing a new card. now, after a year of BT, all i can think is "im gonna have to redisign the case to cope with the airflow on that to get adequate cooling and silence in a custom case".

BT, what have you done to me! lol.

i need to go lie down
</edit>
need a hand joining or setting up? ask us on the bit-tech forums -> here
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 17:44   #3
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah as far as airflow goes, it's very poorly designed. I would assume there was some legitimate reason they designed it how they did, but it was stupid if you ask me. However if the Ultra's are anything like the GTs, the heatpipe bit only goes with the ram, which is just silly. The actual core heatsink is surprisingly small. But I've never ripped open an Ultra to see if it's the same there...
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 18:56   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
the Ultra is similar but the heatsink for the core is copper. I think the air is directed that way in order to cool the power regs that get very hot at the front end of the board (under the strip heatsink).
Old 9th May 2005, 21:25   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Yea, that's the only problem with arctic coolers is that they dont cool the power reg heatsink strip, so if you've got poor airflow over your card they tend to end up almost glowing :/
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 21:59   #6
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The basic problem is the way a graphics card is mounted, It should be mounted verticly with the soccets on a backing plate so that it dosen't obstruct airflow as much. But that would need a total regesine of system chassies.
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 21:44   #7
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if it generates less heat it should be able to OC more so that pretty cool i cante wate till they come out hopefully at least by late july
ZERO <ibis> is offline   Reply With Quote