1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Is there any Freeware software like MakeMKV?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MSHunter, 18 Jul 2012.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Like the title says is there a free ware alternative to MakeMVK.
    MakeMVK says its free but all I get is a 30 day trial and then they want 40 euro.
    Click Buy NOW to see price.

Either way going to use Make MVK to back up as many of My Blurays as I can. Mostly so I can play them an any of my PCs or Andriod phone. The digital copies (from triple plays) are a nightmare of DRM.

Any one know some good guides/tips for ripping and re-encoding?
    straight rip has given me main movie at 13GB is that a good size or can I get is smaller while keeping 1080p and good quality video/audio?

2. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

While in beta MakeMKV is time limited; download the latest version and you'll be able to use it again.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the encoding process.
    But 13gb should be ok for blu-rays.

With that kinda size I presume your overall bitrate will be 10-15mbps depending on the length of film?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I'm new to this so I just left it at default settings. Is there an easy way to figure out which file is the main movie without ripping all 20+ GB files?

what do you average on file size just main movie?

I got it direct from the web-page so I guess I have up-to-date version

5. GeorgeStorm

Well, depending on what kinda bitrate you're encoding to, you could end up with sizes varying from 6-40gb

I would recommend making sure it's atleast 10, and probably a little higher if possible (high teens)

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I'm having a blind moment and can not find that setting any where in my version of makeMVK....

7. GeorgeStorm

I've never used makeMKV (I've personally never encoded a blu-ray), but I presume there must be quality options for encoding

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

MakeMKV is pretty dam good for pulling the video off the disc, however I then run it via Handbrake to drop the 20Gb file down to ~4Gb, just remember to select English Subs where applicable.

Keep the H.264 and MKV settings in Handbrake, and not the default standard of mp4. Mp4 might be more accepted at the moment but I've heard Raspberry Pi accepts H.264 a lot better. And it's only a matter of time before everyone has one! lol!

There is also an app called "ripbot264" but you'll need something like AnyDVD HD to bypass the security of the disc.

9. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

thanks for all the help. wish Any DVD HD was not so expensive. will be using make MVK and that giud was great help with handbreak re-encoding

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

PM'd :thumb:

MSHunter likes this.
  12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Thank you again for all the help. I had to format my PC the other day due to the Russian Virus and am rebuilding my bookmarks ATM. OMG so many little programs I took for granted. Still trying to find all my Rainmeter widgets like CPU and GPU temp monitoring. Yes there are other programs that can do that. But it is nice to keep it all in one system. Oh Google where art thou?

What settings do you guys use for things like Transformers and Avatar in Handbrake versus Old movies where the picture quality is much lower any way?