1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is this a good £700 Gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iBeMonkayy, 28 Jul 2012.

1. iBeMonkayy

iBeMonkayy What's a Dremel?

Please tell me if my build idea is good :) : http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/5a705a21c2094b0f9473b250908ee628

Budget: Flexible £700 ceiling
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, Video editing and possibly web and graphic design
    Parts required: Everything bar Monitor, OS and Mouse
    Previous build information (list details of parts): A toaster not worthy of explaining (a stupid HP laptop) :p
    Monitor resolution: 1080p
    Storage requirements: 1tb
    Will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Nope, but would not mind some USB 3.0
    Extra information about desired system: All has been covered, I am hoping to buy this ASAP so any help is thanked :)

Last edited: 28 Jul 2012
  2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

that's a solid build and I wouldn't improve much on that... u may want to see if you can get any second hand GPU which are higher performing but otherwise this is a pretty solid build!

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I take it you already have a mouse?

Yeah it looks like a solid build to me.

4. PorkChops

PorkChops What's a Dremel?

Same as the others have said, it looks very solid for the money. If I were building it myself though, I recently built a PC in the Antec One case and really liked its slot loading HDD system and is a very similar case in most other regards and is £10 cheaper. If it's any use to you, the logitech k200 keyboard is only a pound more and has a nice set of media keys. Also, as and when youre buying it dont forget to check scans today only page. At the moment, the CPU, GPU and mobo are all a couple of quid cheaper than on that basket, and often you'll be able to find a nice deal on a 1tb HDD, I bought a seagate barracuda 2 weeks ago for a shade over £50. Also, make another 5 posts before you order and you'll get free delivery too. Now that you've saved yourself a good £30, youre halfway towards a 120gb SSD that'll make a pretty significant boost to performance.

David Dickinson routine over, If you're intending to SLI 560's further down the line, then you may want to switch to a different PSU, as the 560 uses two 6-pin power cables. Going for something modular so the cables arent messing up the case in the meantime is what I'd do.

Hope I've helped. Signed, your friendly neighbourhood bargain hunter.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Id personally be looking at a better keyboard cant stress enough how important a good keyboard and a good mouse is to your experience of using a pc.

Id also maybe consider stretching your budget to a 64gb ssd for boot purposes makes a good difference in day to day usage as well.

6. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

I just build pretty much the same spec, seems pretty good to me.

7. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

looks good; nice to see someone getting a reasonable PSU rather than just instantly going for 850w for "future proofing" :rolleyes:

the 660ti is out very soon; if you can hold on there should be a nice price drop.

8. Mrmelon98

Mrmelon98 When's a Dremel?

I can't find a flaw in your build except I would wait for the GTX 660 to be released on Aug 16th

9. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

+1

10. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Solid build, but I would really be wanting a small SSD, in this day and age.

11. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Youve got a processor that overclocks but a motherboard that will limit you from any quality overclocks. IIRC that mobo has a limit in one of your BIOS settings preventing you from getting anywhere near the limit the CPU can achieve

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Don't forget a copy of windows if you don't have one already, and go for an OEM copy to save money.
    If you can't afford an SSD now, when you install windows, give windows a 100Gb partition, then you can easily clone it over to an SSD at a later date, no need for a reinstall.