1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Traveling around the UK

Discussion in 'General' started by stonedsurd, 26 Jun 2015.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm coming to the UK in mid-July for a couple of air shows (Flying Legends at Duxford and RIAT at Fairford).

I was just wondering what the best way to get around would be. A few friends have very kindly volunteered to loan me their vehicles but since I drive in India, this would be best avoided. You guys don't need my unique brand of South Asian lunacy and road rage.

I will be arriving at Heathrow and heading up to Cambridge for the Duxford weekend (11-12 July), and then bouncing down to Fairford mid-week (around 14 July) for RIAT. Then back to Heathrow on the 20th.

Any recommendations? Trains, buses, (god forbid) cabs?

Also, I'll likely have a day to kill in Cambridge on 13 July after Flying Legends, so are there any must-see, must-eat-at, or must-drink-at places I should try and make?

Muchas gracias in etc in advance :)

Oh, and if anyone's coming to either of these shows, please feel free to drop me a line and we can maybe catch up there! :clap:

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

google maps will tell you the best way. I would take the airport shuttle to reading and the train. You can get everywhere by bus but it's a lot slower. I think you should also be able to get a train pass that will cover your time in England. It can only bought outside of the UK

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Trains in the UK aren't the cheapest, but they are pretty good in terms of connections to just about everywhere.

In London, the tube of course!

Also, use Sky Scanner if you plan on flying anywhere (can often be cheaper than trains between big cities).

4. stonedsurd

Looked up the train pass but it's working out more expensive than booking individual tickets. I only really have to figure out LHR-Cambridge and Cambridge-Swindon. If rail's the best option, then I'm cool with that, but not the pass.

I looked up LHR-Reading-CBG, but it seems more convoluted (and takes more time) than simply doing LHR-London-CBG by train. OTOH, luggage on the tube...

Noted.

New question - what are delays like? I'm looking at LHR-CBG, and it seems weird, because there's no time between stops.

Screenshot for clarity:
    [​IMG]

Or is it kind of like, I get on any train to King's Cross and any 'Great Northern' to CBG? Does it work like that? Are there loads of trains running between London and CBG? I don't want to be missing trains, that's all.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2015
  5. silk186

silk186 Derp

you can buy tickets the are 30 days open return and you can actually get on and off at any stops between your start and destination. I buy my tickets from www.thetrainline.com. They are pretty cheap and have a good cellphone app. Choose a cheap time for departure and you can return anytime except for peak. I think this only matters going into London from 7a-10a? and out of london AM and PM rush hour but not coming back in.

6. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

national express or mega bus is a good way to get about

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've taken Heathrow Piccadilly line trip a few times over the last year going past King's Cross to Finsbury Park and Arnos Grove. One hour to King's Cross is very optimistic, takes 1:45min to Arnos Grove, about 1:30min to Finsbury Park.

Check the train ticket type, usually train ticket allows you to travel on any off-peak train of the day. So missing your train isn't a big issue.

If you have contactless bank card, use that to travel within Oyster card area by touching it on the yellow oyster card readers. It's the best way to travel in London. So all you need is to book the train to Royston or Cambridge.

Finally, for Cambridge, river punting in the summer is excellent. Then there's the 3 famous colleges. Their formal dinners are very nice if your friend is doing a degree there.

edit:
    Also, keep in mind Duxford is half hour away from Cambridge, it won't be a cheap taxi ride. IMHO this trip is best done by driving.

For RIAT is best to stay at Swindon, rather than Fairford.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2015
  8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It looks like GN run 3 trains an hour to Cambridge (xx:05, xx:14 & xx:52) The xx:14 being the fastest Non-Stop service, xx:52 Semi Fast and 05 the slowest. That xx:44 is a service to Kings Lynn, Direct Non-Stop to Cambridge thankfully.

I would certainly consider National Express coaches from Heathrow to London Victoria Coach, then the tube (Victoria Line) to KGX.

For Cambridge to Swindon, your best option is to go via London, Change at Kings Cross, Take the Circle/Hammersmith & City to Paddington for your onward connection.

Sam

Edit: Whittlesford Parkway is the closest station to Duxford, Direct trains from Cambridge and London Liverpool St. It's less than a 2 mile walk.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not much use on travelling around the UK but with Duxford go into a local shop for food before rather than the onsite catering, its nice but can be very expensive. Plus that way you avoid the inevitable very long queues.
    Also good vantage point for snapping is up by the land war museum as most of the aircraft taxi along, that and its quite raised up in places.

10. stonedsurd

Should I really be bothering with that though? I'm really only looking at LHR-CBG and CBG-Swindon by train. The rest of the trip I will be riding with friends.

I'm not familiar with stations or lines, but it seems you're right.

When I punch in LHR-CBG on trainline, the quickest train to CBG is at 1944 h from King's Cross, and the site has me leaving LHR at 1835h to make it there in an hour and ten (ish). I should ideally be on my way well before then, as I land at around 1700h, but I'm giving myself some breathing room to clear immigration, get my bags, maybe grab a bottle or two of something from Duty Free etc.

LHR-Paddington seems all right time-wise, it's Paddington-KGX that's the unknown. I presume 6pm is a bad time to be on the tube in that area?

That's right. I just saw that. Worst case I miss the 1944 departure and can take the 2014h.

Now all that's left is the idea of traversing the tube with bloody luggage. I shall have to pack creatively... :dremel:

Negative, no such luck with Indian debit or credit cards.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't have pals studying there, so no dinners :blush:

Noted, transport is already in place to/from the shows. It's just the long distance transits that I am having trouble figuring out. For Flying Legends I'm staying about halfway between Duxford and Cambridge, and for RIAT I'm actually being put up quite close to the airfield! :D

Ehhhh... you've lost me. Kings Lynn?

Because it's quicker, cheaper or...?

From where I'm sitting Tube+train seems easiest except for the unknowns of traveling with luggage on the Paddington-KGX leg, as stated above. Or am I just overthinking it and bags are a non-issue?

In any case, I looked up National Express, and they don't run in the window that I need. Last one departs toward London at 1730h (too early), and the next is then at 1900h, presumably to avoid traffic. If I wait as late as 1900h, I might as well take my chances with the tube, no?

I'm going to be staying closer to CBG than Duxford, so I think CBG-KGX-PAD-SWI will work.

Yeah, I'm pretty savvy at attending shows, I have the water/food/shade bits covered :D

Thanks for the shooting location though! :thumb:

And thanks everyone for your help! Like I said, if anyone's in the vicinity during either of these shows, send me a PM or something to establish contact and I'll buy you a beer (or something stronger). :rock:

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Great that you are coming over to shoot in the UK, I thought you might be here in time to catch the Bournemouth Air Festival (Thursday 20th – Sunday 23rd August), but you'll be off home by then.
    Have a great time, I must get to Duxford some time. Never been there.

stonedsurd likes this.
  12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Yes. It's the overall destination for that service, so the Destination board will state Kings Lynn, but it does call at Cambridge, Just a small tip for when you get to KGX.

Yeah, Cheaper mainly. Personally however, i would stump up the cash and go Heathrow Connect/Express rather than the Tube to Paddington from Heathrow.

Peak in London is give or take 17:00 to 19:00, but some lines are busier than others, Thankfully the new 'S-Stock' tube trains have full air conditioning.

Yes, you'll be fine. You will end up reversing your original journey so you wont have any issues.

Sam

stonedsurd likes this.
  13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You want to look at the direct Coaches from Heathrow itself to Cambridge, depending which Terminal you land at, they run pretty much hourly up until 11pm and cost £20 or £28.

Would be much easier than getting the tube and train... you get on the coach at the airport and get off in Cambridge.

[​IMG]

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Good shout, National express Heathrow to Cambridge should be pretty popular and run regularly for students. No change required means you won't have to carry your luggage up and down stairs (avoid Finsbury Park changing tube/train).

But FYI: Luggage on Piccadilly line is not an issue, only inconvenience. I had used the tube with 2 largest allowable international flight sized luggage plus 2 largest allowable on-board luggage. Go to either end of the train, and piled your luggage on the furthest 2 seats, sit on the third seat. There are no doors at the very end, so you won't be blocking anyone.

15. stonedsurd

Top tips both, thanks :D

16. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Coach is a good shout and probably the cheapest option.
    If you get the trains, Heathrow express to Paddington is not optional, Piccadilly from Heathrow to central London is just too painful.
    Tube from pad to kgx won't be fun but isn't an epic journey either. It's 5 stops, hammersmith and city is a generally quiet line compared to some, and you'll spend nearly as much time getting to and from platforms as on the tube itself. If feeling flush, a cab is not a bad option here.

19:14 train out of kgx to cbg or later should be fine but any earlier and you may struggle to get a seat.
    Wait at the gates nearest platforms 0-8 as the train typically leaves from one of those.
    The trains may split at Cambridge and continue on to Ely and Kings Lynn but all carriages will get to Cambridge so sit wherever.
    Don't bother with the train at xx:05. I'm pretty sure it arrives after the xx:14 due to more stops.

There is a pasty stand on platform 1 at Cambridge station. If open, its good food :)

Best way from cbg to Swindon is to drive but otherwise you are going via London on trains as you have worked out.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I assume you will be carrying a bit of gear, so avoid the tube if you can.
    Direct bus services seem more suitable, but driving would be by far the best choice.

18. stonedsurd

Just wanted to say thanks once again to whoever responded here. I've been off the tech trail for a while now, but its the bit-tech community that keeps me coming back :)

I'll be in on Friday. If anyone in Cambridge/Duxford/Fairford areas wants to say hi, drop me a PM — the first round's on me! :D And if any of you are coming to either show, then we absolutely HAVE to meet!