1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Battlefield Hardline Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 27 Mar 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

And remember, don't change ANY of your PC hardware... or you'll be locked out for licence violation. I think Guru mentioned 8 changes? Although that may sound a lot, that level of DRM is utter rubbish of the worst kind, to the point that I am actually starting to worry about getting The Witcher 3 unless they release a Steam version which is debatable.

3. badermans

badermans What's a Dremel?

The graphics look shocking!

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@SchizoFrog, IIRC your allowed 5 changes before you get locked out for 24hrs and have to reactivate, although what the DRM considers a change is anyone's guess as i don't think it's known what the DRM is monitoring or recording.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Looks like a game from the nineties

6. SchizoFrog

The things that really worries me is if a change is merely logged as a change and not logged as a possible alternative. For example, I play on my PC but I also play a lot on my laptop when I travel to Germany which is not an issue through Steam. However, would this DRM recognise going from my PC to Laptop as a change of hardware? To be honest though as with Ubisoft, EA is killing PC gaming as an option and as such I tend to stay well clear of their titles now, availability on Steam would be the only exception.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Sounds a lot more like GTA than it should I suppose

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure how much faith to put in this, it's EA after all, but apparently the lockout that Guru3D experienced isn't related to BF hardline.

9. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

the screenshots probably don't do it justice, I played the beta on XB1 and the graphics were on a par with BF4 on the PC (at near max), I can't imagine BF:H on the PC will look significantly worse than BF4 on the PC, if at all

still I shall be skipping this title - cops and robbers is not battlefield for me (veteran from BF42 speaking)

Last edited: 27 Mar 2015
  10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Pretty sure in the good old days this would have turned up as a free Mod...

11. SchizoFrog

In terms of Battlefield... I miss 2142...

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I got bored after about 4hrs of the Beta. Not even good enough to be a mod pack for BF, let alone a standalone game.

Typical EA, using a great gaming title to release crap for more profit - it's worked though, my son for one bought it and how I laughed when he told me how awful it is.

13. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

For the comments on the screenshots, Rick was probably not running at very good settings. I didn't realise until very recently but he was only running a GTX 660 - I've now kitted him out with a Titan so expect a marked improvement in the quality of screenshots :)

14. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

dear god, i was kind of excited for this game as i thought BF couldn't get any worse :(

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Everyone needs a friend like you. Especially me! :lol: :D

16. SchizoFrog

Damn... I can't even get a Bit-Tech mug. :D

17. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

My boss has a dead Titan sitting on his desk - it's one of two he got for trade-in credit from CEX about 9 months ago. Guess who's regretting not having a warranty....

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Offer him a tenner and then bake it!

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So instead of being Hardline specific it's part of the Origin client and affects every game on the account.

Well, that's so much better and is sure to alleviate any bad feeling.

20. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Regarding screenshot quality, there are a couple of reasons for this beyond simple hardware. Firstly, Hardline's art-style (if you can call it that), aims toward realism, which means a lot of the lighting and effects are fairly subtle. This looks great in motion, but in stills it doesn't look particularly spectacular.

The other reason is, if I'm being perfectly honest, these screenshots aren't up to my usual standard. Normally I take between 500 and 1000 screenshots while reviewing a game, then select my favourites for the review. However, I had a complete nightmare trying to get FRAPS/Steam Overlay to function with this damned game (because Origin). Eventually I found a workaround, but only after playing through the game once, which meant a quick second tour through the game grabbing screens from the various modes.

The good news is, I now know how to force Steam overlay on with Origin games, so this shouldn't happen again with anything EA related. Also, as Matt pointed out, my machine is now equipped with a Titan thanks to him, so you should see a general improvement in screenshot quality.

Hope that clears things up.

Rick

Tags: Add Tags