1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which SSD with £150 budget?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barcode.uk, 11 Dec 2010.

1. barcode.uk

barcode.uk What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, just curious if anyone can recommend a great SSD as a boot drive with a budget of £150?

It's a bit of a minefield and I have read a few conflicting reviews with no definitive choice.

I'm upgrading from an old OCZ Solid Series SSD which has it's moments :S

Cheers :rock:

2. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Crucial C300 is a great investment

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

4. barcode.uk

Cheers guys , loving scans mis-label on the corsair drive title "ocz 90gb force" so it's between the corsair drive and possibly the crucial + highpoint raid card at the min.

I'm liking the idea of the corsair more just because of the extra storage but it's not a deal breaker.

Are the intel x25-m's not worth considering then ?

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

'if' you want to take a chance on your board being compatible with a budget 6Gb/s card then go for the Asus U3S6 - it's as (in)compatible as the highpoint thing, both need a pcie 2.0 slot (a 16x one on most boards), neither have raid, but it's both slightly cheaper & more properly supports 2x 6Gb/s SSDs (each of the 2 ports supports ~500MB/s vs the shonky highpoint with ~500MB/s shared between both ports).

£150 is an odd budget though as it's not enough to go for something exciting but too much for a basic option...

Well, as is my normal recommendation (unless there's an odd usage type & until the 'proper' 6Gb/s SSDs are out), i'd also consider at a pair of 60GB SFs in R0 which, whilst ~£28 over budget (inc p&p), will vastly out perform a single C300 & doesn't involve taking a chance on a card that might or might not work.

[remember that the SFs don't respond instantly to trim/are vastly more reliant on idle time garbage collection for maintaining speeds than the C300 & so, along with trim not being necessary in general, makes them a much better choice for R0/non-trim environments]

6. barcode.uk

I've decided to take the plunge and go for the corsair force f90 on Ph4ZeD's recommendation. Cheers for the advice guys anyway! :lol:

7. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I bought the Corsair Force 120 a few weeks ago, love it.

8. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Just ordered my first SSD, is an OCZ V2 90GB. Lets see how that goes.

Tags: