1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Changing the Asus Bootlogo for an A7N8X Deluxe

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Der Me!$ter, 4 Jun 2003.

1. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Everyone knows those annoying bootlogos, which Asus puts on their mainboards, which simply block the view of POST information and in addition to this don't look all too good (IMO... at least after a while). Well everyone knows it is easy to shut it off completely, however not everyone knows how to get your own nice logo onto the POST screen. As Asus dows not feature the mylogo function for the A7N8X deluxe, we will have to mod the bios a bit. Note: This only works for the A7N8X Deluxe (at least that is the only board I tested it on). I am NOT responsible, if you mess up your bios!

Ok... here we go:

First of all we need a few tools to change the logo:

- Your favorite image editing programm e.g. Photoshop or PSP
    - Newest Asus bios file for the board
    - AWDFlash for flashing the bios
    - CBROM for modding the bios file
    - AWBM Toolkit to convert the image file.

Now we are going to open up the image editing programm. For this tutorial I am going to use Photoshop 7.

1. Create a new image with a resolution of 640x480 with a white backround and RGB color.

[​IMG]

2. Design your logo.

[​IMG]

3. Goto Image --> Mode and select indexed color.

[​IMG]

4. Save your image as a logo.tif (TIFF file).

[​IMG]

With that all done we will have to convert the the .tif file into a .bmp file, which the bios can read with AWBM Tookit:

1. Extract the .zip archive, and copy your logo.tif file into the same folder.

2. Memorize the folder, where you extracted it to and open up the command promt by clicking on Start --> Run, type "cmd" (without " ") and then hit enter.

[​IMG]

3. With the command promt open type "cd.." (without brackets) until you reach "C:\>". Then locate your folder with the logo.gif and the AWBM Toolkit by typing "cd <folder name>" (without " " and < >) and repeating this for all subfolders, until arriving at your destination.

[​IMG]

4. Now type "tiff2awbm logo.tif logo.bmp" (without " "). This tells the programm tiff2awbm.exe to convert logo.tif into logo.bmp. Do not close command promt after doing this!

[​IMG]

5. Extract cbrom215.zip and the bios file you downloaded into the same folder as your new logo.bmp can be found in. Check the size of the logo.bmp file: if it is something around 307.980 Bytes, your're all right. If it isn't try altering your logo file a bit and see if you followed the instructions correctly. Memorize the name of your bios file and get back into command promt.

[​IMG]

6. Now type "cbrom215 <biosfile name>.bin /logo logo.bmp" (without " " and < >). This tells cbrom215.exe to take your bios file and write your logo (logo.gif) into it. Your screen should look something like this:

[​IMG]

7. We will quickly check if everything has gone ok by typing "cbrom215 <biosfile name>.bin /d into the command prompt. Check to see, that the part in the red box on the picture is similar to the one on your screen. It is important, that the file name of the logo file is the same as the file you created (logo.bmp).

[​IMG]

Ok, now we have a modded bios file, with your logo on it! Now all we need to do is flash the bios (this is the part where most things go wrong, so read the instuctions carefully). Screenshots are not provided as I am writing this tutorial from a different computer without an A7N8X deluxe mainboard and so cannot flash the bios the same way.

1. Extract AWDFlash.zip onto a disk and copy your modified bios file onto it as well.

2. Insert another disk and create a MS DOS boot disk, by going onto explorer, right-clicking your floppy drive and choosing format. Choose "Create MS-DOS-Bootdisk" and hit start. When finished, leave the floppy in the drive and restart the PC. Be sure, that you have enabled the PC to boot off of a flopy disk!

3. As soon as you get to the command promt with "A:\>" as the directory insert the disk containing the new bios and AWDFlash type the following: "awdflash <biosfile name>" (without " " and < >). This will open up the flash utility.

4. It will ask you to specify a new bios file name. Simply hit enter and hit "Y", when it asks you if it should flash the bios.

5. DO NOT TOUCH ANY KEYS OR TURN OF THE POWER TO THE PC, WHILE THE FLASH IS IN PROGRESS. This can lead to bios or even mainboard corruption!

6. When the flash is completed, remove the floppy disk and reboot the computer.

Et voila! You will see your own lovely logo at the POST screen instead of that Asus thing. :clap: :rock: :clap:

2. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

they provided the asus logo program for my P4P533 :p

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I've seen this stuff off and on and want to do it with my board. Is there a utility to do this with a Gigabyte board???

4. Der Me!$ter

Never seen one... :worried: Try google.

5. DeViLoN

DeViLoN What's a Dremel?

I've tested this on my A7N8X Deluxe mobo, and it works fine.
    I used the Asus update to flash the bios ( i have no floppy)

Here's a screenshot

[​IMG]

6. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice, is there any way to do this on an Abit IT7 or can't you have a big logo with that eg only a small one it the right upper corner?

7. Der Me!$ter

It is probably possible on most boards, however, I haven't tried it yet. I once saw a guide on how to change the energy star logo into a custom logo... can't find the link :search: Oh nice bootscreen btw!

200th post :clap: :rock: :clap:

8. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

I know you can change the energy star logo, but I want to have a big logo :).

9. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

I love this MOBO! Now I can make it better!

10. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

Wasnt this at virtual hideout? or some site like that.

11. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I think that was for the Windows Logo thing you get not the actual motherboard POST logo or osmething like that..

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey dad, check the cd-rom that came with your gigabyte, look for a prog named "Face-Wizard". It will actualy go into the bios on your mobo, grab your existing bios, integrate the picture you want to use, and then flash your bios, all from within windows! I love my gigabyte! Name one other board that you can flash the bios from windows without any problems? :p Anyway, yeah it works, and I've done it (looks sweet).

14. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

hey, sorry for the newb problem ... but how do i go about finding out what version bios my board is running? when i went to asus's website grab the most recent bios ... it had several.

15. TMM

TMM Modder

look for the 4 digit number when your computer boots up. My bios flashes past very quickly on my board so it take me several resets :eek:
    e.g. mine is 1006 for my board

if you have a logo screen, just disable it to get the proper POST

16. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Asus A7V333 :p

17. tekcajder

awsome! thanks so much :D

18. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Munich ownz, im glad we got a municher here :D
    its been 2 years since ive been there, and i miss it :waah:

19. Bloemster

Bloemster Banned

Does anyone know if there is a way to change that login screen background on XP? Everything else on my computer has a matrix theme and it seems a little out of place. I dont think there is any way to do this, but also I was wondering if there is a way to get quick bootup on a board without the option in bios. I just want it to skip all that ugly text. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20. tekcajder

i know style xp allows you to do that ... i tried a while back ... but any of the themes caused the the whole login process to lag a little bit.

Tags: