1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Citrus

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ikem, 5 Jun 2011.

1. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

I have been modding this for a while, but i guess i could post my build here too.

[​IMG]

Im have been modding my main rigs Lian Li A05NB for some time now, and it is time for a change. I used to cut corners for budget purposes, but this time, im pulling out the stops. Im going to make this pc my pride and joy.

This will be mainly a video log with some pictures, i dont really like to stop and take pics during modding, so im just going to record everything :D

This will be a three color, color scheme. White/Orange/Silver

I know that the color of the motherboard will be a problem but once bulldozer comes out, there may be something that will wit the colors. or i can just get a GB OC.

Starting hardware:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1090t
    Gigabyte GA890XA-UD3
    GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 4x2gb
    HIS HD 6870 1gb
    OCZ Vertex 2 60gb
    Corsair HX650W

Cooling:
    Noctua D-14
    2x Xigmatek XLF-F1453
    3x Xigmatek XLF-F1253
    2x Xigmatek XLF-F1254 (89 cfm version)
    1x ADDO 120mm 90cfm
    NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller

got done stripping.. took a good 5 hours to get it done well. i wish lian li would have made this piece 3 seperate pieces instead of 1...

Tear Down begins!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is what im doing to all my Xigmatek XLF fans. also the 140mm didnt have a hole for the led to shine though... i drilled a new hole and they are a little brighter
    [​IMG]

2. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

to all A05n owners, we all know the cable management is a pain in this case...

well im working on a little cover that goes from the bottom 5/25 bay to the floor. im planning on adding cable management fasteners to this plate, in hopes that the wires are not as bunched up as before. it will be painted white to mask the wires, and make for a clean look.

after looking at this picture... i forgot to cut a place for the power/reset buttons to go through
    [​IMG]

I will be adding some sort of lower fastening to the mask
    [​IMG]

3. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

Finished the cable mask, added the bottom piece of angle aluminum. Drilled and tapped for screws to hold everything together

[​IMG]

Just enough room so the psu can slip in

[​IMG]

Prepped the plate for paint, i also bent about .25 inch so the cables wouldnt cut on the edge of the metal.

[​IMG]

As it sits tonight, im resleeving the fans because the old sleeving wasnt the greatest, also with white heat shrink.

[​IMG]

4. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

well i got the chassis from powder coat today. it was $20 to do it, if he was to do the full case it would be like $40. Very reasonable prices, and it is only a 15 min drive to the shop!

[​IMG]

i gave him a sample of the lian li side panels, and they came out with some pin hole like spots, and i had already decided to paint them myself... i could have lived with the spots i think... to save alot of money... anyway...

mobo tray. Chevy Orange!

[​IMG]

working with this white makes me really careful... it is sooooo un blemished... i was so careful with the rivets...

[​IMG]

Installed the cable mask, looks great and i think it will work well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MNPCtech 140mm fan grills. They do rotate but i like the 45 degree position.

[​IMG]

Before assembly.

[​IMG]

Also MNPCtech case feet, painted chevy orange.

[​IMG]

im waiting on ftwpc to release thier sleeving and priceing before i purchase sleeving, im needing the tightest weave...

thanks for looking, ikem

5. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

got some things today.

once i get some sleeving i will be using those.

[​IMG]

also i got the vandal hooked up. looks nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished the white coat on my gpu, and changed the tim in the process.
    [​IMG]

also painted the pci brackets, i need to find the rest of the lian li ones...

[​IMG]

6. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

so i was taking my temp probe around the case and i was very worried about the back of the mobo around the cpu socket and vrms. there isnt even room for a 12mm fan and i refuse to mount an external fan. So i had an idea, since my case has a very high positive pressure vent system, i should just make a blow hole. I have a few MNPCtech grills that i have cut the center out of. Then I used the original Lian li 120mm fan grill for an insert. Using very short screws, because i dont want it to short, i think the air traveling over the back of the mobo will help alot. And it doesnt look that bad.

[​IMG]

Hopefully these screws will be short enough.

[​IMG]

7. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

more things came from frozen cpu today, the rest of my connectors, 4 fan molex connector, 12 inch led strip white, and a 12 inch fan extension.

[​IMG]

i was deciding on where to put the light, but it looked best up in the top case rail, and it is totally hidden, and still lights everything well.

[​IMG]

Let there be light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmm that gpu looks nice

[​IMG]

8. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

mmm some late night cable management. Moved some things around and changed the 3.5 hdd's mounting back to the cut up Lian Li hdd cage.

[​IMG]

I painted the Sentry 2 a while ago but wasnt happy with it. I redid it and this time it looks nicer. All but the little paint smudges on the lcd when i painted it the first time. Im going to remove them later. EDIT: also i have the temp sensor of Fan 1 (the one that is showing) taped to the inside of the front bezel, so i can get a nice estimate of the ambient temp. :D

[​IMG]

Look mom! No Cables!

:D well a few... once i get the sleeving done tomorrow, everything will be hidden, almost. After looking at this photo, i think the fan cable could go behind that other 140mm fan. so could the power button cable. (once it is sleeved.) I think i found a great place for that unused 5.25 drive bay cover, didnt i?

[​IMG]

sleeving arrives tomorrow. but i don't know if i will get everything done... gotta work alot tomorrow too. I will definitely take some pics of it though.

Thanks for looking, Ikem

9. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

Thanks Lutro for the availability of the MDPCx sleeving!

Here we are, i didnt measure it so i hope lutro sent me the right amount... hehe

orange connectors, 100 ft White Small MDPCx, 50 ft Orange Small MDPCx, and 75 precut White heatshrink. And a digital Heatgun

[​IMG]

For my first time sleeving... EVER.. i like how it came out. I can see a little of the black under the white but it is acceptable.

[​IMG]

After a long time.... i finished the 24 pin and 8 pin on the non modular part. Had to cut the hole a little larger for the extra size.

[​IMG]

After getting everything together... It looks like a mess back here. I know i mixed it with black sleeving BUT the black sleeving is always located in the shadows, aka behind the fan contoller/ etc.

Also the metal plate i added is SO helpful because i dont know where i would have put all these wires.

[​IMG]

Hmm hsf.... dont mind the orange scribbles... i was trying something and failed miserablly... Im going to remove it later.

[​IMG]

The orange connectors really show on the GPU, alot better than having black ones.

[​IMG]

All lit up. Notice the metal plate that hides the cables. It works so well!

[​IMG]

And the side panel on.

[​IMG]

also the 120mm blow hole that is positioned on the cpu backplate, i finally got all the side panels on and there is a considerable amount of air coming out of it. I'm happy with this airflow and im not going to add a fan.

Im going to be adding a few fan grills, such as on the psu and rear intake. But thanks for looking, Ikem

10. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

i love the color scheme man

pulled off very nicel :D

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Really, really nice clean and tidy build. Like it a lot...top modding dude.

12. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Could you do the top of your heat sink orange?

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Really fresh color scheme and kudos for even painting the GFX-card.

I just don't understand how you've thought the cooling? I mean you have three fans pushing in air and just one exhaust at the front :confused: Suppose it works, it just looks weird :)

14. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

That colour scheme is the best!

Very similar to what I'm thinking. I'm not big on case mods but I love this one.

15. MilOk

MilOk What's a Dremel?

so nice man great job !!!

16. ikem

ikem What's a Dremel?

done alot of heat tests and this is the best one.

here is what it looked like with a regular front to back airflow

[​IMG]

and the

temp tests with my config, and a normal fan layout.

My Layout
    Regular Layout

i have changed it a bit since then and i should test again. (different fans and such)

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Well there is 2 pulling out as you have the PSU as well...

Thats a nice build, turned out so well.:)

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nice colour-scheme indeed. Very fresh :thumb:

For your temps... you traded +4° on the CPU for -9° on the GPU, which is a very good tradeoff imho, allthough your chipset is aswell running a little hotter with your flipped setup.

All in all very good built ;)

19. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

i love it i did a orange build but i love the white its such a cool colour well done!

20. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Wicked colours bro, super squeeky clean wiring too!