1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phishing spam

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by David, 12 May 2014.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why am I receiving fake paypal phishing emails on the address I used solely for bit-tech/CPC competitions?

WTF are you lot doing? Or is this a final "firk yew" from Felix?

Either way - not frikkin impressed!

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, because scammers totally don't mass-email any and every possible permutation of common email domains in the hope that one of them comes up lucky.

Neither will you ever have used your email address for anything else but Bit-Tech/CPC competitions. You will have specifically created that address solely for that's purpose. You will not have shared it with anyone, ever, and it will not be on anyone's address book.

Come on, dude. It happens. Deal.

3. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

The HEXUS guys have always been strict with user information.

I think this is just a bad coincidence

4. David

Nice assumption there, and completely wrong. :p

I can have as many addresses as I want - my email address format is actually not that common - name@mydomain.isp.co.uk - so I can choose bittech@mydomain.isp.co.uk, or David@mydomain.isp.co.uk. So, yes I CAN and DO create addresses solely for a single site/purpose.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I do this too - and so can anybody else, even if you don't have your own domain. Most mail providers - including Gmail - allow you to use tags. For example, if your address is sorryifthisisreal@gmail.com, you can give this 'ere site the address sorryifthisisreal+bittech@gmail.com and it'll go to the same place. You can then use the tag for filtering - to send all messages sent to that address into a particular sub-folder, for example - or to track who's been selling your addresses on the open market.

Not sure if your provider supports the above format? Give it a go - it's a bleedin' handy tool for tracking (and, given you can then block *just* that address, eliminating) spam.

Teelzebub, Impatience and hoochy like this.
  6. David

Mine works well as a spam trap as it is - because I can create (and later filter) any number of unique addresses just by changing the name before the @, but that tags idea is very useful - I can apply that to my gmail account. Thanks, Gareth. :thumb:

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

How did I not know this! Fantastic...going to be using this with my gmail from now on :) thanks +rep

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I didn't know this either. Very useful, thank you.

9. Kyle P JMC

Kyle P JMC What's a Dremel?