1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I played Diablo 2 and I hated it

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

The game comes with a book that tells you what happened before in great detail. Or maybe that was the first Diablo, I don't remember exactly.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

How did it compare to Dungeon Siege, a game I know you had quite a bit of fun playing co-op back at Uni?

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

the skill tree is fantastic there are infinate (almost) builds you can do a much discussion has gone into what and when you should upgrade to get your hammerdin/javazon/whatever to maximum output

i love the skill tree as it allows those with experience(those whom have taken some time to study the builds) to get an advantage over those without (true RPG style). do you prefer the oblivion method which
    improves your jumping only if you jump around the entire map?

for example whats better LVL 5 hammers @ 1000 dps
    or LVL 2 hammers @500dps but with LVL 3 speed boost which allows 3x speed over a period of 10 seconds with a one minute cooldown.

the example above is very crude but its desicions like these that allow the skill tree to grow into your character, and what eventually turned me off oblivion and has stopped me from playing fallout 3 (although i may start soon)

i agree that diablo is a click athon and the more clicks you do the better gear you get however if you delve into the forums that still lurk the web you will see a vast array of people still doing hardcore ladder runs

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Good old times. :D

Diablo 2 is just too old to get into nowadays imo. You got to remember, it's more than 10 years old. While the battle-net has been great fun back then games and gameplay have evolved too much in recent years.

To be honest I think it's good that D2 doesn't have a story at all. I could never really get into Titan Quest because the game follows an incomprehensible stoyline, and there are many sidequests you don't know about and stumble upon by chance.
    In Diablo there're 6 quests each level and that's it. You know that from the very beginning. But that's a personal opinion anyway.

Hey, you were expected to play Diablo 2, not to like it. :p

Edit: Oops. :blush: Well 9 years is something, isn't it?

Last edited: 5 May 2009
  6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You're mistaking with Diablo. Diablo 2 is turning 9 year old this summer

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No. Oblivion was good in that it fitted in with the whole 'this is a virtual life, not a real RPG' thing they designed it to be, but it's not what I prefer. I prefer having a real choice. I prefer systems like in D&D, or at least where the whole thing isn't explained to you in advance or when I can adapt my tactics.

Diablo 2 using your example above limits players greatly. I have a choice on how I can level up exactly, but it's limited and essentially I'm still going to be doing the same thing. Hammers at LV3 or LV2 with speed? That's not a choice because it still drags me back to the same clickathon mechanic. I'm still just going to be clicking like crazy and my main tactic will be set until I level up again, at which point still nothing really changes.

I prefer a more openly tactical approach. Take Baldur's Gate 2 for example - still isometric, still clicking like crazy, but I can change my spells and abilities massively between levels and encounters are structured and unique, not random and samey. It's a known risk that by allowing randomly generated content you create repetitive content. In Baldur's Gate 2 I know that I'm still going to level up along a set path and that I'll use certain abilities, but it isn't layed out for me in a boring diagram that essentially says "This is your game. This is the experience you are going to have." Instead, I have tools at my disposal which allow me to create the experience I want to have.

This isn't the only thing wrong with Diablo 2 in my eyes - god knows some of my favourite games use a similar system of laying out skills, like Vampire: Bloodlines - but there's really nothing else in there that gripped me.

And it was very similar to Dungeon Siege, yes - but I enjoyed that only to a point as that too got very competitive and I was playing it co-op. I didn't play Diablo 2 multiplayer and I'm fully willing to admit that my experience is massively limited because of that, but since it's an old game and for a utterly unofficial blog post I was more than willing to judge the game on what I wanted to get out of it and I wanted a singleplayer RPG, not a game that only really excels when you play with friends.

8. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Diablo 2 is all about playing on hardcore, optimizing builds and the comedy of the cow map all done online. All of which you have to invest a large portion of time. Saying that, every time I have tried to force my way through the game, I get sick of it on Act II.

Possibly I just love it for the Nostalgia

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

D2 isn't for everyone. I thought Oblivion was pure garbage along with Fallout 3 (FO2 is still the best) but those two got grand reviews.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If you don't like Titan Quest (which has a pretty easy-to-follow story line IMHO) it's pretty darn certain that you won't like Diablo 2.

Even though D2 came out some 6 years earlier or so, I personally find TQ to be the better game of the two. Especially with the Immortal Throne add-on.

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Ditto.

I don't have time now, but i will come back later to discuss someone that didn't played the game in the right time.

12. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

DIfferent strokes for different folks...
    If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.
    Glad you had a go at least.
    I liked both Diablo's and I'm looking forward to D3

13. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

It's a bit harsh trashing a game that had a maximum res of 800x600. Diablo was a pure hack n slash set in a shallow rpg environment. What Diablo did right was to embrace the materialist in everyone and provide an insane amount of (at the time) cool armours and weapons.
    Diablo was more about the co-op and shopping than the fighting

14. sear

sear Guest

Diablo II isn't a role-playing game, it's an action/hack-and-slash game that is basically centred around making your character the most powerful thing in the universe through optimisation of skills and stats, and collection of more and more powerful weapons and items. It is not open-ended, there is no real exploration (nor is there much motivation for it), and it is not a highly intelligent game overall. For what it does set out to do, though, it excels at it, even almost ten years later.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

diablo II plus the LOD was awesome.

so much customizing and skill tree builds made it playable over and over again.

on multiplayer it was the business. played it recently with 2 other friends over privte game and was alot of fun even now.

16. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Go play Rogue or Nethack. It's more of a game than Diablo II could ever be, though I do like Diablo and DII.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

And I love both. If you're going to go for random generation then you may as well go the whole hog and make the game hard as nails.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

what do you think about nox? it was around the same time.. liked the ending to that- the batchick and she could fly through walls.. I never got into diablo 2 either- played a bit, the cow level and stuff with some buds.. but the rampant cheating lol I was like yeah one hit me (and I was cheating on stats myself- so yeah right!)

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I don't think you gave it a fair chance Joe. I shall never speak to you again! The boss encounters are great.

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

First you can't play Diablo thinking of a RPG. And as a RPG Diablo is weak. Let's face it. BUT, Diablo isn't a RPG. It's an ACTION RPG, that makes a HUGE difference. I don't want to measure it's merits by saying it sold more than 18,5 million copies over the world (the series). Thats not a gauge. Diablo was the first ever game to mix action AND RPG in a game successfuly.

Diablo also helped popularize RPG. There are essencially two types of players, those who love RPG and those who hate them. Diablo was able to bring them together. Why i say so? Because some of my friends that played diablo on a lan with me weren't even able to read in english! Still they loved diablo!

Random levels, group of unique monsters with a leader, tons of armor and weapons, and with the socketed item the possibilities were hugely widened.

Diablo generated tons of clones, darkstone, dungeon siege, sacred, spellforce, etc, etc etc... And other games that were influenced by diablo wich include BG: dark alliance

I doubt anyone here can name a game in the same linethat was so inovative as Diablo was back them. Don't talk about Baldurs Gate (wich i love), because it is purely RPG. Want a true RPG? Go for Ultima VII!

As for FO3... hmmm I better not start my rants over that $%%^$ of game...
    FO3 is just another shallow RPG, that will be forgot in ten years from now

Tags: Add Tags