1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs EK Waterblock on the Radeon HD 5870

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 4 Dec 2009.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Surprisingly basic design, though it should allow for high flow rates.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What do you mean "Do NOT use them"?
    You mean until after you've cut the right shape out?
    Otherwise you've said do not use them, then used them anyway.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry I had a massive brain fart. I meant you MUST use them. It's been changed. :thumb:

5. dec

dec [blank space]

really pretty block. with some UV active water itd be the fastest and coolest looking card on the market

6. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

are there stand-offs on the block?

Your volt tweak could come from the fact of overtightening the screws and thus bending the card - and that would play havoc with your tweaks.

IMHO all blocks should come standard with stand-offs to prevent overtightenning especially when you slap them on a rare and/or expensive card.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

True, I've killed two cards by blocks either flexing the PCB too much or fouling something creating a short circuit. Some extra support would be a great idea given that your average person's GPU is the most expensive bit of kit in their system.

8. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

I don't like using screwdrivers for heatsinks. I usually screw on things with just the screw bit. That way I can't apply too much force. Tighten the screws around the core with a fair amount of force with thumb and index finger tips. The rest I just tighten down enough to get secure contact . With heatpads, you don't get any more cooling by getting it too tight anyways.

9. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

As nice as it is, nickle plating can only make it look better against the black PCB. More so with dyed water. :D

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I admit it's pretty easy to REALLY tighten the chunky screws.

11. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

pure guess here and you may have tried it but could it be that the voltage tweak app wont work unless it thinks something's connected to the card's fan header to make sure you don't brick your card?

12. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I was going to say the same thing, so that would be it.. how about dangling the fan on there and see what happens?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've taken it all apart now sorry, but it's worth keeping in mind for the future! Thanks!

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya the Nickel plated blocks are just gorgeous. My second 4870 is starting to act up so Im going to take a part the block and remount it to see if there was something causing issues >< maybe the excuse I need to look into upgrading my cards lol.

Tags: Add Tags