1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Sabertooth x58 won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NitemareDT, 10 Mar 2011.

1. NitemareDT

NitemareDT What's a Dremel?

Hey, new to the forum, I hope that doesn't impede anyones opinions of me, although I am very new to PC building and this IS my first PC but, whatever. :p

Anyway, I bought a bunch of parts from Scan and they all came, fairly quickly though the GTX 580 was super late, that's mainly due to the shortage that was suffered at release. So recently my mobo and gpu broke (I'm pretty sure the gpu was defective or something from the beginning but whatever) and I sent them back for repair/replacement. After a good 2 MONTHS they replace my parts after loosing them and then marking my invoice as solved or completed or...whatever which was APPAULING but after many phone calls it was solved.

So, I have now a new/repaired mobo (Sabertooth x58) and gpu (Asus GTX 580) and I, stupidly, assembled the whole thing before testing everything worked. This took me like 2 hours and then I turned it on....

I insert the power cable and the green standby led turns on, good so far, then I press the power button and the vga red led flashes along with the cpu red led. They flash for a split second and the cpu cooler fan and chasis fan begin to spin but then everything turns off (except the green standby led which is constantly on) and the fans, slowly spinnning, spin to a halt.

I have tried EVERYTHING to solve this. I reseated the cpu, I changed the pci-e slot the gpu is in. I tried 1, 2 and 3 sticks of ram and then no ram at all (yes I put them in the corresponding slots, according to the manual.) and finally I'm here, on my virtual hands a knees BEGGING for some help....please? :waah:

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

SOunds like you might not have plugged all the power cables in. As it's your first build, check

24-pin ATX cable (large rectangular)
    8-pin Motherboard power (AKA EPS12V) - 8-pin plug, connects to mobo in top left corner

8-pin + 6-pin PCI-E power cables into the GTX 580.

This sounds like a very ambitious build for a first timer. Take some photos and post them here so we can have a look see and try and spot anything you might have missed.

3. rejeto

rejeto What's a Dremel?

I have exactly the same problem, did you fix it???

4. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

i had almost the same problem but with the sabretooth 990fx. Turns out in my enthusiasm i had completely overlooked the graphics card >_<
    Plug that in and hook it up.
    For some reason it gets as far as checking for the gpu (as theres no onboard gfx) and when it doesn't find it it turns itself off.

Nic

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Shouldn't there be a loud alarm if the gfx card isn't plugged into the psu? Talking of PSUs, which one are you using? It could be that your using a cheap underpowered one.

edit: just seen the age of this thread

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Could be a short, a lot of good PSU's will get to a certain point and then switch off when they sense something isn't right. I had it with the back plate on a GPU touching the card once, took ages to find. So it's worth checking the mobo isn't touching some thing.