1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs How can companies like CM Storm keep up with gaming?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 12 Nov 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

I have one of their mice, and I'm liking it.
    Not going to buy something just for a sponsored name on it. Although come to think of it, I'd buy a Gitz mouse, expecting the same godly aim as his of course. ;)

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Isn't CM Storm a brand rather than a company?

4. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Thank you Bit Tech - I have been wondering if there was such a thing I could buy (Cherry Key tester / the 6 key device above) for 2 years! Never wanted to buy a mechanical keyboard without knowing which key type I would like. Now I can find out.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Pretty cool aren't they? Plus, they make for a good desktop gadget!

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Have a look here and here.

7. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Umm... why dont they try new controller designs like Valve is with the Steam Controller?

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I really don't get all the gaming endorsements for the CM Storm NovaTouch TKL, it's a very basic board with no macro options yet all these gaming gods are claiming it's brilliant, what a load of b*****ks :eyebrow:

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As a novelty item, they're quite fun, but as a "tester" they fail. Repeatedly clicking on one key is absolutely nothing like typing on a full keyboard of said switch.

I'm aware that this is a difficult problem for someone new to Cherry switches, and that full boards of white/green/clear switches are still not commonplace, but nothing beats trying out a whole board before you buy.

Fortunately, more and more stores have a couple of demo boards out on display, so you can have a fiddle, although these are usually limited to the more common switch types.

For an existing Cherry MX user, who has no need for macros, it's a relatively inexpensive way to get into Topre-style switches whilst retaining compatibility with Cherry MX keycaps.

It's not for me, and many have reported that the actuation is inferior to most of the other leading Topre-based keyboards, but it's a nice concept.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Macro functions on keyboards where nice to have, right until they became available on mice, with a mouse like the Corsair M95 or the Logitech G600 do you really need macro functions on the keyboard?

just my 2 cent.

11. collateral

collateral What's a Dremel?

What I love about PC gaming is that I can choose exactly what product I want and whatever suits me best - even if some major esports team player is "sponsoring" it, I really couldn't care.
    I expect most people look at what they're getting for their money rather than listening to any promotional crap.

12. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I'm sure a board like the CM Storm NovaTouch TKL is fine for typing on but for gaming?
    Depends on the game but when playing Skyrim I use eight of the extra macros for spells, (just the way I like the keys spaced so they are easy to hit) that's on the M1 (memory 1 profile) then hit M2 and use eight macros there for equipping enchanted items, I also use the some of the usual function keys, so yes I need macros :D
    The alternative to macros is having to keep scrolling through menus to equip stuff which is slow and laborious.

[​IMG]

I hoped that more macros on mice would really be useful but I've not found it so good, I use a Logitech G602 mouse which has six side mounted macros but I don't have the biggest hands and I find only four buttons are easily reached, the front two buttons require moving my hand forward to use them and back again to grip the mouse which is not practical in the heat of battle so for me they are useful but limited.

What gets me with some gaming gods, or maybe even the same ones, is they endorse other boards with macros and extra programmable keys and proclaim that they couldn't play and win at their godly level without these options, so how can a basic board be as good and why are they endorsing it :rolleyes:

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The problem is the cost of capacitive switches. Adding 18 keys (in addition to the numpad you might as well tack on) would increase the key count by 40%. Coupled with the additional microprocessor, circuitry and the increase in case size and complexity required I can only imagine what that would do to the price...

Remember these guys get paid to endorse - not necessarily to use these peripherals.

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Nail and head :thumb:

15. vajoiner

vajoiner What's a Dremel?

the TK was a genius move that they dont exploit. like a lot of industries, they come up with something innovative for their field and dont follow through. yes i need my desk space. yes i need my number pad. so? why dont they make every 10keyless from now on in the same mold? its just dumb. give me reactive or an rgb 10keyless hybrid. please.

16. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Agreed, I don't think the perfect mech typing/gaming k/board exists and that is mainly down to the lack of gaming software, typists probably want the numpad so removing it alienates them and then claiming it's a TKL gaming board yet it has little or no gaming software and in some cases no macros at all is pointless :rolleyes:

There are now a few TKL mech gaming boards available, although I can't find this one in the UK yet, actually, it's not TKL but the numpad is movable and can be used on the left hand side as macros, it's just what I want, macros on the left and no numpad to get in the way of the mouse, granted it's not the best looking board but I much prefer function over form, a few more manufacturers should take note.

[​IMG]

17. ch0c

ch0c What's a Dremel?

I call b.s on all "gaming" companies and peripherals. There just a gimmick to sell overpriced stuff to fanboys. All of those "gaming" peripheral companies sell trash gear, for the price they are selling it for anyway. Mechanical keyboards.... seriously? I found a mechanical keyboard at walmart for $17.99 yesterday. Nevermind all the keyboards sitting around collecting dust from the 90s and early 2000s. The only probable exception to the rule is Asus's ROG stuff, but still lots of hype and high prices. Why would anyone buy a razer/steelseries/triton/whatever headset without any specs of it printed on the box? " Oh, I like the color of this one, and its $300 so it must be good" Triton was selling their $150 headset for $10 with a wii label on it (that nobody wanted cause it wasnt 'gamer') $140 extra for just looks no performance upgrade? Ill save my money and buy the can of spraypaint thx.

18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Well someone's grumpy.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2014
  19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Interesting article. Worth realising that with the majority of consumer products there is significant law of diminishing returns. Eg, a pair of jeans costing £10 vs £100...there's no difference except a label and perceived benefits.

Can't remember if it was Nike or Adidas, but one of the marketing execs 'fessed up and said 'if we don't make more expensive and higher priced goods, then someone else will, and people will buy it'. Which is true.

A lot of it is to do with vanity, ego, perceived value, and the price you're prepared to pay for it. One person may max out at £10, another maxes out at £100. Someone will buy it at £100.

My Razer Black Widow cost far more than it's worth, but I'm prepared to pay extra for it. It makes me feel happy with it's obnoxiously noisy clickyness and snappy feel.

20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Bad gateway when trying to click the link now.. So if they are trying to keep up with gaming like bit-tech are trying to keep on top of web errors then I guess not very well is the answer

Tags: Add Tags