1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilliary vs. Trump: The 2016 US Presidental Election

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 27 Sep 2016.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

[​IMG]

The US election is fast approaching (NOV).

Fireworks are due to start (if not already done so) with in minutes by way of the Presidential *debate.

[​IMG]

Source:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37468188

This could be one of the most interesting debates of all time? and lead on to a grulling close fought election victory (for either candiate).

*This post will get edited once an available debate (youtube) hq stream becomes available.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it just me or has the UK media been paying more attention to US elections in recent years?

I know what happens in arguably the most powerful nation on earth effects everyone but what's with the infatuation the UK media has with what's going on. :confused:

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Not sure Corky42, It could be most of the world also spends the same focus and interest about the US? USA is sort of our daughter country.

Nice they can greet each other so nicely at the start with warm hand shakes.

Here it is in full.

You have to skip forward to around 56minutes mark.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The only thing more terrifying than Clinton becoming President is Trump winning.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

No great surprises from this debate.

Trump was Trump, talked a load of waffle and played extremely fast and loose with the facts, but didn't seem quite as combative as he has done previously. I don't think he landed any meaningful blows on Clinton, but by the same token he won't have lost any of his core support. He may have alienated a few floating voters but really, he's just Trump and you know what you're getting with him.

Clinton did okay, but no better. She scored good points on the tax returns and ripped Trump's answers on race in particular. On the whole, though, she didn't go for the jugular too often and seemed happy to let Trump chat ****. She probably needed to show people that she's human and likeable, and I don't think she did a great job of doing so. Again, though, she didn't do anything to lose any support.

Both candidates are unlikely to gain much support on the back of this debate, but if I had to predict an outcome it would be that Clinton shot par, whilst Trump underperformed and may lose a bit of ground in the polls in the short term (all other things being equal). It'll be interesting to see how the two candidates approach the second debate.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Twitter was great last night. Instead of the usual Trump meme nonsense, it was awash with sane folk fact checking Trump's denials.

Take this for example, it's a peach. :)

Hillary: "Donald said global warming was invented by the Chinese to hold US industry back".

Donald: "No I didn't."

Twitter:

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: 27 Sep 2016
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Post-Brexit UK is preparing to become the 51st State, so it's only natural to show interest in who is to be its new overlord. :p

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The one that made me laugh was his claim that Clinton had been “fighting Isis her entire adult life”, i didn't even know Isis was a thing 50 years ago. :rolleyes:

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I remember hearing this bit and thinking, wtf?

Beware "the cyber". Donald has no idea but his young son's a wizz apparently. Jesus Christ.

[​IMG]

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I know, it was embarrassing to watch.

Did you see him worm out of the "birther" accusation too? He tried to create the impression that he dropped the issue once Obama produced his birth certificate and didn't like it when it was pointed out that he continued to make his claims long after the certificate was made public.

Donald doesn't like facts.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

He doesn't like facts, but you have to admire the fact that he just brazens out any fact-checking or being called on his BS. Again, even though Clinton skewered him a few times on some of his nonsense, it wasn't particularly effective, and for the most part she seemed content to simply tell the audience that they could verify these "facts" for themselves, rather than wasting time trying to argue against every single lie he told.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Alex Jones (no, not the one from The One Show. The loony one) is now releasing videos about how Hillary Clinton supposedly "started the birther movement to accuse Trump of racism".

:lol:

Edit: Here's the "birther" question from the debate, asked rather expertly by the moderator and not answered at all by Donald. :)

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems that's become common place in politics recently, is there a word to describe someone who spouts so many lies it's impossible to refute each one individually?

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hey, we're in a post-factual world here!

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Impact > reality.

Tabloid politics for a tabloid society.

16. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Why did OP posted this thread in Serious? Shouldn't it be in General, with the other joke threads?

17. Nexxo

The upside of a Trump election win would be that the British won't look like the stupidest people in the world anymore for voting Brexit. :p

18. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Just can't help yourself can you.
    Only person looking stupid here is you.
    Take your insults back overseas if you don't like the paycheque your collecting here, I'm sure there are plenty of stupid brits who are qualified for your position.

Not nice is it.

19. Nexxo

Thank you for acknowledging that I do, in fact, have qualifications and a job (in the NHS, no less), and by implication pay my taxes and contribute to British society. It makes a nice change from months of Vote Leave campaigns making us EU immigrants out to be the scourge of British society, taking all your welfare, council housing, school places and NHS resources. :thumb:

As you say, not nice is it.

You really have to start looking beyond your own back yard to how this whole Brexit looks to the rest of the world. It does not paint Britain in a flattering light.

Anyhoo...

[​IMG]

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not really the same thing:

Brexit = One of the wealthiest nations throwing the status quo under the bus in favour of decades of uncertainty.
    Voting Trump = Rejecting Hillary and making Trump find out the hard way just how little power the American President actually has (remember, there will still be the rest of the government to keep him in check).