1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Completed Project "Oscilloscope EO-M6"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Alkouzne, 3 May 2017.

1. Alkouzne

Alkouzne What's a Dremel?

So, how it began. One of my friends is fond of everything that is Soviet, especially electronics, and when he heard of modding from me, he asked if it somehow possible to make some kind of a Soviet-styled case with his own PC components. After a while I decided that case-mod is not that unusual, so i teamed up with my other friend and we bought an oscilloscope back from 1967 and decided to make a case straight out of it.

[​IMG]\

Oh boy it was looking awesome. And it’s quite tiny, for an full ATX build. Here’s it compared to my P5.

[​IMG]

We began by carefully disassembling the oscilloscope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even found some documentation inside.

[​IMG]

Man, that thing was complicated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that we waited for a while to be able to take my friends’ PC for a couple of days to properly fit it inside this tiny case. And after we got i (and after a few hours of cleaning up all the stuff in that PC, it was dirty and terrifying ) we began working.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We equipped ourselves with a couple of meters of aluminum profile and an Angular grinding machine and began creating a skeleton for the future case. We (obviously) took some parts from an old case. To have a propper place to put the MB ect.

[​IMG]

After we started cutting the parts my cat ran away in fear (she’s fine now).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just after a couple of hours, that’s what we had on our hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we are going to make most of the switches somehow usable (I, personally, want to make volume controls on the front panel make some LED illumination for the front window a lot’s of stuff). And try to fit a DVD-ROM in there (my friend insisted that we keep it).

Last edited: 7 May 2017
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

FYI your hotlinked images will need to have the .jpg extension for this forum to recognise them as images.

3. Alkouzne

Alkouzne What's a Dremel?

DAY 2

We made the cuts for the MB I/O, GPU connectors and a case fan (100mm fan is pretty hard to find in Russia) in the actual case of oscilloscope and painted it with matte black.

[​IMG]

Then we fitted everything from the old PC inside the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we started wiring the front panel. We solded the front audio panel and changed the miniJacks to made them fit in places of original oscilloscope switches.

[​IMG]

We made some of the switches useable (power switch, reset switch, the actual power of the PSU, volume controls and lighting modes of the LED). We made two cuts for the USB ports in the lower parts of the front panel. And we fitted two acrylic plates instead the oscilloscope screen, that we’ve removed and made it light up with some LEDs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY 3

We bought a DVD-ROM from iMac, because we didn’t want to ruin the aesthetics of the oscilloscope by installing a standard DVD-ROM from my friend’s PC, cut a hole for a CD to fit in and covered it with a piece of cloth.

[​IMG]

After assembling it and making a new handle (the old one weared off after 50 years of use) we made a few cosmetic adjustments and it was done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend was tremendously happy.

Last edited: 7 May 2017