1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V headphones for £500ish

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aterius Gmork, 29 Dec 2016.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The end of 2016 is really turning to sh*t electronics wise for me. After my screen my trusty Sennheiser HD 650 are starting to bite it. And they aren't even ten years old. :waah:

I am using a dedicated AMP/DAC combo from Maverick Audio.

Now headphones are quite subjective. Right now I am considering the Sennheiser HD 700 as a direct upgrade but choice is a good thing. So...

Any recommendations or general advice around £500-£550ish?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I wouldn't touch Hifiman (or Audeze for that matter) with a barge pole, their customer service is just not up to snuff these days.

I quite like the Shure SRH1540, I think you may be able to get a 2nd hand Beyer T1 for that money as well, which would be my number one choice. I believe the Audio Technica AD2000X used to be in that price range, but alas, I can't find a UK seller any more.

None of the headphones I listed are really comparable to the sound of the Senn HD650, which is noticably darker and more laid back than all of them (The HD700 also sounds nothing like the HD650).

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

I got mine via Amazon so no worries there for two years at least :)

I don't like the pads on them. They're that soft stuff that everything sticks to. Must get around to replacing them with pleather ones. Apparently it makes them sound better also, though my ears will sweat ollies.

5. Vault-Tec

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

What about the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro?

7. Vault-Tec

8. Aterius Gmork

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the suggestions! Just what I am looking for.

I am not going to buy a pair without having a good listen first. Headphones are really subjective. Last year I discarded a pair of wireless headphones due to the way they clinged to my head.

There's a hi-fi shop nearby that stocks quite a few headphones. However having a read before going and having a few suggestions is probably a good idea.

9. Vault-Tec

Amazon offer a great return policy. Those Teslas I linked you to use to be over £500. You can get a set from the warehouse in very good nick for £280 or so, I would start there.

Edit. Oops, all sold out lol.

Edit 2. The new ones are back in stock.

10. Aterius Gmork

I have to buy from Amazon DE anyway.

350 Eur used. Hmm...

11. Vault-Tec

That's not too bad considering what they cost a month ago. They were a grand at one point !

I've had my eye on them for ages. Luckily I got a killer deal on my Grados, they only cost £330 in the end (£350 originally, £20 refund for a out of shape ear pad). So ended up cheaper but I have had my beady eye on them since they came out :D

I had a pair of Beyer Custom One Pro and they were fabulous all apart from one of the speakers farting when you listened to anything with what could be considered a bass line. So I sent them back and Amazon did not have any replacements so I got a refund (after over a year btw).

Really I don't think you can go far wrong with any Beyers but yeah, the Tesla drivers are supposed to be rather special :)

The T70 are reviewed on AVF here.

https://www.avforums.com/review/beyerdynamic-t70-headphones-review.12193

And cost £350, well below your budget any way :) As I say, Amazon have a fantastic returns policy. TBH? you are going to want to spend at least a few days with them on YOUR setup any way. I have five amps, each suit the headphones I use on them perfectly. However, start switching them around? it doesn't work.

12. Aterius Gmork

Tangster, I don't think my gear can properly drive a T1 - or a Senn HD800 for that matter. My dream is a Sennheiser HD800 / HDVD800 combo since I had the pleasure to listen to them once but alas - they are way way out of my range.

The HD700 got quite a few favorable reviews and I am probably a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy so they were the first thing that came to mind.

How does the HD700 sound compared to the HD650? Esp. for jazz, classical stuff?

So we got the Beyer T90, maybe T1. Any other Beyers I should look out for?

13. Vault-Tec

Hmm Jazz and Classical. I would look into the Grado RS2E or SR325E (currently on sale)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-SR32...d=1483094314&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=grado+rs2e

That is what I use my Grados for funnily enough. Nothing I have even comes close, and that's comparing them to B&O H7 and Hifiman HE400S.

For live (which is what I prefer, then you know some one can sing) classical (which tbh they are absolutely unbeatable at) and jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday) they are untouchable.

You might need some new ear pads though. I use "Big girl's knickers" on mine which makes them amazingly comfy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Ea...I-Headphone-/301746645753?hash=item4641806af9

14. Aterius Gmork

Just ordered a Sennheiser HD700 from amazon.

Tried the T90 at the shop and the treble was just... way way out there. I could probably tone down the highs a bit at home but - why bother? I didn't like the sound signature.

Tried a few pairs of Grado as well. Don't know about the sound but I found them really uncomfortable.

All of these points are really subjective though. Thanks for your recommendations guys!

15. Vault-Tec

No, Grados are uncomfortable. Very much so, that is why I replaced the pads. Shame about the T90s. Won't be buying any if that is the case.