1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rovio's Hed claims piracy can be good

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

How did you come across your favourite author?

How many books did you then proceed to buy from said author?

I think that's what he is saying here.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think he has a point, I can admit I've pirated Call of Juarez in the past, I now own it and the sequel, neither of which I would have bought based on the reviews since they were so mixed.

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

the small guys wanna be known and become big. Once you big - you need to have guaranteed big $$ revenue so its just different views from different view points.
    I'd probably be ok with drm if it didnt get cracked on the first day.

5. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Think the title is a little inflamatory, as pointed out in previous comments I think what Mikael was getting at wasnt that Piracy is good, more that its not as bad and deserves as much villification and hard handed tactics as the movie/music industries are using. Also as the article points out, DRM and other such measures are quite often skipped by educated pirates and its actually the innocent user who is affected by stupid DRM.

As Anneon pointed out, quite often people will stumble across something they like by accident, sometimes through "illegal" means, and will end up buying or supporting the creator for future releases.

Piracy is bad, but content creators should look at the reasons why people pirate (usually high costs and ease of avaiabilty) and work to resolve those issues rather than punish everyone with DRM

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

As someone said, piracy is the new Radio.

It makes sense that it isn't as bad as it seems. But even back in the day of VHS the MPAA back then tried to prevent it's sales just because of recording technology. Actually this debate has been around forever and the truth is: copying music has hardly affected those companies, as did recording VHS movies. And while there are admittedly lost sales think of it this way:

Toyota can not sue you nor Chevorlet for lost sales, while cars are a bit difficult to replicate you still don't see replica makers getting sued for lost sales. The lost sales argument at least to me is a moot and ridiculous point, as how does one know what potential sales there may be?

At any rate, it's already apparent that DRM hurts the paying customer more, but what company gives a rat's when there's so much money to be made.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Easy to say when you've just gotten lucky with a big hit like Angry Birds.

I don't see where he gets off criticizing CD Projekt. Thay make real games that take actual effort to create and cost real money. There's a massive difference between pirating, say, The Witcher 2 and Angry Birds. One represents a collaboration of devoted effort from various parties to create a rich and enjoyable gaming experience, the other represents little more than a cheap Newgrounds flash game. It was a big move by CD Projeckt to not use DRM based on trust in their customers which a lot of gamers appreciated, if they want to persue legal action against those who break that trust then more power to them.

8. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Makes sense. Also makes me wonder just how much money are some companies spending in the war against piracy and in developing/using the DRM-malarkeys? And how much good does it REALLY do them?

On another note I'm looking forward to seeing if Rovio can come up with some other game. The idea of the Angry Birds was old and IMO it's boring as hell, but I suppose that just goes to show how some people know how to make money and I don't.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

DRM really started to annoy me when they companies try to decide what you may or may not have on your PC for other software. Like virtual drives. What business gets off telling me if I install their game I can not have Virtual drive software on my PC? Did said company pay for my PC? NO.

Edit:
    Best part about that is, the only reason I found out about virtual drive software was because a friend told me I could use it to protect my game disks and improve load time.
    (this was some years ago before steam)

11. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

He has a good point, I'm on a very low income and as most games no longer have a demo and many reviewers give wildly different views of games, I find myself pirating most of the larger titles for two reasons,
    1- To see if I'm going to want the game
    2- To save my money for the games I will play.

I don't download all the new games or anything like that, only the ones that interest me, if I like them then I buy them at full retail price - normally from Steam etc - and delete the ones I don't like.

In my opinion, a developer who won't release a demo is a developer who is insecure about the quality of their game.....

Tags: Add Tags