1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Netbook graphics given a boost

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

requires .net 2.0

theres got to be a more eficient way of hacking clock speed then installing .net

3. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Just install it. There are lots of apps that are developed using .NET framework today. It's a more managed secure way to make programs. They tend to be more reliable.
    It's only Windows XP that doesn't come bundled with it. Even ATI Catalyst Control Center requires .NET Framework 2.0 to install and run.

4. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

works great for me!!

more wow at work :p

5. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

You do know that .NET Framework adds over 1.2MB of data to the Windows Registry, right? (a 12% increase compared to a new Windows install). Since registry size affects startup time (it has to be loaded into memory) and memory usage, keeping "registry bloat" under control is a key factor in maintaining a tidy (and stable) Windows installation.

As for Catalyst Control Centre, that is not only the most inappropriate example of .NET usage I have seen, but also excellent marketing for ATI Tray Tools - or Nvidia Forceware. :rolleyes:

6. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

oh my god, 1.2MB...

we're all going to die

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And what of the rest of the .net frame work, if your working with an 8gb disk every little helps.

8. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I used to have the 945G chipset on my desktop (well, I still do, but I got a decent graphics card). There were some people who modded the 965 (a better intel integrated chipset) to get better framerates and compatibility.

If you have a netbook with these chipsets this group would probably help you: http://groups.google.com/group/intel9x-gaming?pli=1, but it's mainly for XP and Vista users.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah the writer of that program is on the msiwind forums.. these guys use setfsb and that gmabooster to oc their netbooks to hell XD some up to 2.1ghz and claim youtube 720p video runs without issues- I dunno seems aweful high without stability issues

this little mini pci device looks cool http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQL...b=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=pcie+hd&_osacat=0

would replace your wifi card though.. but this in a cheap netbook, just use the wired lan and setfsb for the youtube.. I dunno call me crazy but > nvidia ion?

10. Clo_UD

Clo_UD What's a Dremel?

Wow, I'm very interested. I just found 3D Mark charts with GMABooster enabled and without it. http://www.hardware.info/images/news/gmabooster_screenshots_550.png
    Twice faster pixel shader rendering! Twice faster texture processing! To good to be true... Though this is a well-known german site and I doubt they have been kidding or lying :)
    The question is: why has Intel degraded GMA 950 on netbooks? Is it a commercial trick to make netbooks incomparable to even low-end laptops?

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if no voltage change yet increase clock speed by more than 200%, surely that would introduce instability?

12. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Did those guys running @ > 2 GHz, post any temp readings?

13. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Battery life, that is all.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Astral... are you serious?
    You don't install .NET because it slows down your boot times? And, no offence, but I wouldn't call .NET registry bloat as it actually brings you some nice additions and support for a lot of programs/tools you might find useful.
    Running Vista with .NET 3.0 [no SP1 installed yet, thanks to crappy mobile broadband being the most unstable thing since W95A] I can't see it being unstable at all, or booting too slow.

Well, each to his/her own I guess...

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I cant wait to get my EeePC 1000he, so this would also solve the Hulu issues as well I would assume?

Edit: I installed it onto an EeePC 1000HA at work and bumped it up to 400 and so far all the hulu issues we were having with the lag at full screen and at 480p and what not is gone so this is great, we had two of these EeePC get returned for the sole reason that they couldnt handle Hulu correctly, I came up with some work arounds to get it working but this way with the booster its sooo much easier, so ya this is awesome. For the hell of it we are going to install WoW onto it, we did that before and in areas with no people we got up to 17fps and in heavy areas 1-2 fps so it will be interesting to see what the difference will be now probably not to much but ehh still should be fun.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh you think that would work? could be something to consider if you dont need wifi like in a long car ride and wont have access to anything.

18. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Boot times are not the overriding concern for me but maintaining a bloat-free system (as much as possible) is. While most other software adds to the Registry, such additions tend to be less than 30KB so if you consider 1.2MB the equivalent of installing more than 50-60 programs, then you have a reasonable idea of its impact.
    Fine, if there is something that you really value that requires .NET then install it. However it is an issue that deserves careful and critical consideration, not a "no-brainer" as one poster above seemed to suggest. And companies that require it for necessary system utilities (looking at you ATI) or install it without user consent (yes, Obsidian, that means you with NWN2) deserve criticism.

Since the trademark of .NET software tends to be extremely slow load times (e.g. Stardock's Impulse initially took more than 10 seconds to start up on a well-specced system) I would always look for an non-.NET alternative that, to be frank, shows more consideration for user time.
    .NET's inclusion by default in Vista is likely to be one of several reasons for Vista's poorer performance and higher resource use compared to Win2K/XP.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Vista performs poor? Haven't noticed this for quite some time. Yes, it wasn't the fastest OS on the planet and it might be slower than XP/7 sometimes but overall it's quite fast [now].
    And higher resource use? You mean the SuperFetch and that stuff that "uses" your RAM? I thought we finally settled that discussion a long time ago. :p

But I agree with you that it shouldn't be used for system utilities, especially given the download size of new versions and SPs and yes, it should be handled as a crime to install ANYTHING without user consent [listen carefully, Sony!].

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

that was odd, tried it on my ultraportable and it actually made it slower when allegedly overclocked

3dmark03:
    default: 687
    400mhz: 595

:confused:

might be a compatibility issue with windows7 tho

Tags: Add Tags