1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to June/Julys 2012 Buyers Guides?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dolphine, 1 Aug 2012.

1. Dolphine

Dolphine What's a Dremel?

Just wondering what happened to them? A friend was looking to build a new system and i was hoping to give some advice based on the components in the guides - but I see neither month has a guide - only May 2012.. what gives? Thanks!

2. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Just updating now - live next week!

Simon

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It's highly plausible that it's been delayed due to the impending launch (which has now happened) of nVidia's 660 series of cards.

Sam

4. scimitar55

scimitar55 What's a Dremel?

Buyers Guides

Chaps...where's the buyers guide. last one was August.....and I want to build a new PC!:waah:

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The old Bit-tech has died. Now it's just a handful of freelancers who have some access to the old labs, but mainly just review headphones and CPU coolers for some reason. They don't mess with the forums much and we don't mess with them much any more.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical :p

Sorry lads, but I'm not really though am I?

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Hey, that's not nice. They reviewed a sound card today. :lol:

In all seriousness though, what you've said is very true.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We'll look into doing another buyer's guide soon - will report back. We're actually in the middle of a relatively quiet period for hardware too - not too many new CPUs yet and same for motherboards and graphics cards. We're also swapping out a few test rigs at the moment so hopefully there will be more hardware reviews coming :D

8. Shirty

I wish it wasn't true and I hope that what Anthony has said above translates into something tangible. I've been reading Bit on and off since 2002 and I love the site dearly, but with all the will in the world a site like this needs actual, proper staff, in an office, EVERY DAY.

That's not a slight on the quality of the journalism or reviews, more the quantity and the access to shiny new things.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately a lot of sites and magazines for that matter have gone the freelance route - just a sign of the times. We are working on getting more hardware reviews onto the site - December and January were pretty busy for various reasons (I spent most of December working on Mod of the Year) and we're building new test systems as I mentioned. Matt is doing sterling work too so hopefully soon, more 'shiny stuff' will come your way - I'll be working on a very interesting review of a swoon-worthy bit of hardware next week as it happens. If the economy could improve and advertising budgets along with it, that would help too :D

10. Shirty

Yeah I know it's sadly inevitable, it's just a shame to me that what was once a budding community comprising staff, mods and readers seems to have been reduced to a smaller group of forum users who sometimes read articles, a separate group who only read articles and rarely post, and then staff who (let's be honest) don't really get all that involved in the community.

It's in no way a slight on your work, and your input into the modding part of the forum in particular is welcomed. It's just not the same sine the staff team, mod team and readers became three completely separate groups (notwithstanding the fact that a small handful of mods do get involved). It just all felt a bit more cohesive when everyone was just one big family.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now, keep up the good work :thumb:

11. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Come the end of the month, there are some further changes coming at Bit-Tech, which I think you'll find are positive ones. I'm moving onto pastures new, and a new editor is coming in, and I've been talking to him about some of the things he wants to do, and I think there are cracking things in the pipeline. Expect a proper announcement in the next week or two...

Simon

12. Shirty

I wish you the very best in your future endeavours Simon :)

Looking forward to hearing the plans!

13. KidMod-Southpaw

Best of luck Simon! It only seemed like yesterday that you were there newbie we were showering in rep. :D

14. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Was only a year ago

15. KidMod-Southpaw

Eh, a year feels like a while to me. ;)

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I know theres a thread on this already, but maybe more people would see ads if everyone didn't have adblock on due to those full screen adverts (really not good on a mobile device.)

17. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

A mobile site would sort that. Other tech sites have good ones

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
    Teelzebub likes this.
  18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Im not actually a fan of mobile sites that much. They seem to favour form over function too much, and have laggy animations and poor site navigation etc.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct, pricepoints have moved though, so the decisions what goes in what rig would probably differ today.

Apophis54 and Teelzebub like this.