1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Loop Cleaning

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Lassar, 29 Aug 2013.

1. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me where I can get some Distilled water from in the UK (Manchester Based)? Halfords only sell De-Ionised which I have been told is crap for watercooling.

Was going to use this to clean then rads etc and then combine it with a silver kill coil as a coolant.

Cheers

Lassar.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

De-ionised is fine but you can get Distilled from BarbersDTS. It's not the highest grade of distilled as it contains 20ppm of particulates (Total Dissolved Solids). However considering that's how many there'd be in the loop after a day it's acceptable.

You can get Mayhem's Ultra Pure from here but they're currently out of stock. I normally get 20 litres of the BarberDTS water for the same price as Mayhem's 5 litres. Bear in mind after a short while in the loop then Ultra Pure water will also contain particulates.

3. Lassar

Thanks Big Elf.

So a silver kill coil and the BarberDTS is a good as anything? I think that these fancy coolants are a bit gimmiky?

Cheers

Ric

4. Big Elf

Avoid using silver if you have nickel in the loop and use Benzalkonium Chloride (if you can find it in stock) or maybe Mayhems Biocide Extreme although that contains a small quantity of Copper Sulphate which is not reckoned to play well with nickel either.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can flush out the rads with tap water and use Distilled for a final flush if you want (I normally don't bother).

5. Lassar

no nickel in the loop..... i think :S Apogee GTZ 1366 Cooler. Which i think is copper. rads are not nickle plated.....

Watercooling UK have 10ml Pulse Modding PM Nuke PHN Concentrated Biocide in stock.

So this with the distilled and we're golden?

Thanks for all your help :D

6. Big Elf

Good to go.

Bear in mind that if you have silver coloured fittings there's a good chance they have nickel in the finish although some are chromed.

7. Lassar

Either way though with the PT Nuke stuff over the Kill Coil we're still good to go? Just wondering.... have you ever submerged your rad in water? I was going to do this to clean the fins properly but thought I would check.... dont want them to corrode.

8. Big Elf

Good to go with PHN Nuke.

I occasionally clean my rads out in the shower. As long as you dry the fins thoroughly there shouldn't be a problem. The fins are either copper or aluminium soldered to brass or copper.

9. Lassar

Big Elf you have been awesome !!! +rep :D

10. Lassar

Do you use the barber DTS btw?

11. Big Elf

I do, I've been using the Barbers Distilled for about a year now. One nice thing is that it's free delivery and so far has always been next day although I buy 4 x 5 litres at a time.

12. Lassar

All my stuff is now here Big Elf :D Barbers was a very quick delivery :D

Dont suppose you or anyone has ever used brasso on the CPU water block?

13. Big Elf

Yes, I've used Brasso but then used Isopropyl Alcohol to make sure I get all traces off. I've only used it on the visible bits though when the lacquer has come off. It's not needed on the base plate.

14. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

Got all mine from Mayhems :)