1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with EK 290 Waterblock installation

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Lassar, 24 Dec 2013.

1. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Hello everyone,

My EK 290 block just arrived and as this is my 1st watercooled GPU I was a bit confused with one of the instructions.....

Link to the instructions is.... http://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109868539.pdf

Instructions state "EKWB recommends using small drops of electrically non-conductive (for
    example: EK-TIM Ectotherm, Arctic Cooling MX-2 ™, MX-4 ™ or GELID GC-Extreme™) thermal grease on each phase regulator (that is being covered with thermal pad) in
    order to even further improve the thermal performance of the EK-FC R9-290X block."

Does that mean I just put thermal paste on the areas covered by the no 2 pads or should I put it on the RAM pads too?

Phase Regulator?!?!?!?! Is that the voltage stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Ric

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You can use non-conductive thermal paste on the pads for the RAM as well. I tend to use it to help hold the pads in place rather than for any additional (likely minor) performance increase. The only disadvantage is that it's messy.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Make sure you do both number 2 areas, I initially didn't see the small second one, it doesn't show up well on the B/W printout included in the block, easy to see on that pdf though.

4. Lassar

The question is to I put on the grease on the ram / vrm then put on the pad or vice versa?

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Whichever you find easiest. I put the paste on the RAM/VRMs first.

6. Lassar

Thanks for your assistance everyone.