Motherboards Fun with BSODs

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Snubbs, 22 Sep 2014.

1. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

Hey All,

My dad recently "upgraded" to a laptop, and as such his old rig has come into my possession.
    The core spec is:

Gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3p
    Intel 2500k
    2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 1.5v RAM

Given that my current CPU/Motherboard is a generation behind, and I'd like SATA 3/USB 3 etc without having to use PCI-e cards, I thought this would be an opportunity for a free upgrade.

Unfortunately since I took ownership of the PC, my dad informed me that he had had a few BSODs recently.

I've tried swapping out all parts that I can (PSU, GPU, SSD, RAM) however I cannot seem to resolve the issue.

I did try the RAM in my existing PC and it gave me a BSOD, however on reflection I suspect I didn't choose the correct settings given that my PC is oc'd quite heavily... With the RAM in the Gigabyte board, I ran memtest86+ for 30hours (had intended to do a 24hr run, but kinda forgot it was running) and it was error free, so I believe the RAM is A-OK.

Shortly after this run, powered up the PC, loaded Chrome and then after 10mins, I got a BSOD.

Which leaves the motherboard & CPU. I have stress-tested the CPU for some time (I think 3hours with Prime95) and not seen any BSODs. Should that have ruled out the CPU?

The BSODs don't seem to occur due to anything intensive - they have mostly occurred just during general use such as web browsing or installing of software.

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    James

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

So you tested with a different SSD? Was it a fresh Install of Windows?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's the BSOD error code.

4. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

Hey,

Thanks for your replies guys.
    Yes, this was with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (UEFI) my dad was using Win 7 during his use of the computer.

This is a on different SSD to that which he used.

The BSOD error code has varied a bit:

The oldest one I've got a pic of is:
    0xa0000001

Additionally I've had quite a few "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" errors listing:
    dxgkml.sys
    blank (i.e. just "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION")
    dxgmms1.sys
    win32k.sys

Since getting the "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (win32k.sys)" error, it refuses to go past the "welcome"/login screen - just BSOD's at that point. This makes me suspect that whatever is causing the BSODs has now damaged the install - I'm hoping to do a Windows refresh which should hopefully resolve any file integrity issues.

I tried to boot into safe mode to check the error logs, however its failing to load the desktop correctly now in safe mode.

Any suggestions? I'm tempted to try a third SSD/HDD incase the one I've put in is a dud (its been used as a gamesstore in my regular rig for a couple of years now).

My friend is also able to lend me a compatible CPU for a week or so as well, so I'm hoping that'll help me confirm it to either CPU or motherboard...

Cheers,
    James

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds like a problem with the graphics card drivers.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have you tried updating the Motherboards BIOS?