1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bios borked

Discussion in 'MSI UK' started by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn, 16 Nov 2014.

1. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

So as a result of avast being a pain, the attempt to update the MSI bios (FM2-A75MA-E35) on my brothers PC. So instructions on website stated to run application on USB stick, which I did at which point avast went berserk with analysing program and caused system to lock up. Left for 5min with nothing happening hard reset results in 2 beeps but no post.

shot in the dark that I'll get help here. tried renaming the bios file to amiboot.rom, tried alternate bios revisions, removed cmos battery, used the cmos clear jumpers, tried usb stick with bios in every USB port on the back panel (as well as the 3 connected to the front)

this particular motherboard has caused me no end of troubles, not detecting ram, refusing to run ram at its rated speeds, detecting all the ram but making it single channel. and I HATE its UEFI. its not easy to navigate half the options are greyed out or they just provide information.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I know it's not much help now, but NEVER, EVER install from within Windows. Always go from the BIOS.

You've bricked the BIOS now, I'd imagine.

Can you remove the BIOS chips or are they soldered on to the board?

3. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Guide here on the msi forum:

Link: https://forum-en.msi.com/?topic=119375.0

Edit:

At the end of that thread:

all that you have to do is to put the previous bios ( the on that u had before the update in the / directory of a clean USB stick without changing the name , for me it was "E7640AMS.D10" ,plug the stick in USB 2.0 slot (rear panel) and power-on , after that you will see a bios screen telling you that had a corrupted bios and asking you to update it

4. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

tried all that, theres no floppy drive (and bios is bigger than the 1.4mb allowed there)

the cd option didnt work, so the mb is dead. ordered a cheap asus instead