1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Dual Socket Mobo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Votick, 2 Dec 2014.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I was hoping some of the dual socket elite guys on here can recomend me a board that will take 2 X Intel® Xeon® X5670's and fit inside something like a Corsair 900D.

Also some CPU cooler recommendations would be fab!

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

The Asus Z9PED8WS was always reviewed well, and my friend used to have one and spoke highly of it. It's EEB form factor though so I don't know if that would fit inside 900D.

SR-2 an option?

3. Votick

I'm looking around the £200 range.
    I would also need to take 12X16GB DIMMS. So although the ASUS looks nice it won't take all my ram. :(

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

That Asus board is Socket 2011? I'll second the SR-2 as an option but good luck finding one reasonably priced.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I reckon SR-2 is your best bet, but as others have stated, it's an expensive beast! Awesome though.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Something like a Supermicro X8DTi or Intel S5520HC would be good choices. Not sure about over there but there is usually load of older 1366 parts for very cheap on ebay US. If you don't need a lot of versatility in PCI-e slots (or any useable ones at all) you might manage with a board pull from something like a HP Proliant DL160 or Dell Poweredge R510. There is loads of this kind of stuff for bargains around.
    Intel AUPSRCBTP heatsinks are pretty nice. If you used some high cfm case fans (and don't care about it being loud) you usually don't have to strap further fans on them. Or, if you don't want it to be loud just put them on water.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you're looking for a mega case to fit it, I still have a Coolermaster ATC S-4000 case for sale. New in box. :D

8. Votick

Thanks all, I went for the Intel S5520HC.
    Case: Phanteks PH-ES614P - Enthoo Pro Mid Tower - Max Mainboard Size:SSI EEB

I'll splash out on a better case later on and full watercooling loops but for the time being just getting it up and running.

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

sorry i meant - Z8NA-D6C - but it's only got 6 ram slots - but it's quite a small board, I should have realised I had the wrong part number above when I said it was EBB!

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Do want! I have a second X5650 sitting doing nothing at the moment. 12 cores of fun waiting to be unleashed :)

11. Votick

Do it! :D

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Good choice. I had been looking at a lot of those options myself, but I don't have any CPU already and some of the first gen 2011 stuff is almost as cheap now so...