1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS X99-S USB 3 not functioning

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 22 Jan 2015.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Howdy folks,

Well I took the plunge into X99 and got myself the lovely looking X99-S. Didn't warrant getting the Pro or Deluxe models for the price difference.

Anyway, Installed, BIOS all updated and things are going fine except that my USB 3 drives on the rear IO plate do diddly squat. Nothing.

There is some power coming from them as I have a pair of Corsair 1500 Vengeance headphones plugged into one of the sockets and there is a light on the in-line volume control, similar to when the machine is powered off. My X55 stick and throttle are getting some power as well, but again, not being detected.

Nothing that I have tried seems to work in the USB ports and it's pretty annoying to say the least. :wallbash:

I'm on the latest BIOS revision, USB drivers are updated direct from the ASUS webpage.

Any thoughts?

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Put your question in the Tech Support forum, where you will be more likely to get help from someone who knows. You've got very little chance of getting any help from the Asus rep here.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Duely noted, cheers :)

4. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

In the BIOS I would:

[*]Check all the Intel xHCI and EHCI modes (including hand-offs) are set to Enabled (forget the Auto(s))

[*]Check the ASMedia USB 3.0 controller is enabled (including the battery charging support)

[*]Check the ASM Storage Controller is also enabled

Save and restart for changes, if any, and reinstall USB 3/Asmedia drivers again in the OS after this.

Hope this helps!

TSB

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Slight update on this, I'm up to 4 USB 3.0 ports now That's still 6 short though :(

I had updated the bios to the most recent edition a couple of weeks ago, incrementally updated the USB drivers. I managed to get 4 ports working (enough for my mouse, keyboard and headset) and then I tried my X55.

Things all powered up fine and dandy, then started spazzing out and caused it all to shut down. The X55 wouldn't power up and I've still not been able to sort it.

I can survive on 4 ports, but it's bloody annoying not having the rest.

6. Jim - ASUS

Jim - ASUS What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with your new board, NaloaC.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get in touch with anyone right now, but I'll try to speak with the technical people on Monday and see if this has been reported before.

If it's a BIOS issue or similar I'd be surprised if you're the only one to experience it.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Thank you very much Jim. I'm in no mad rush as I am away in Finland until Thursday of next week, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :)

8. Jim - ASUS

Hi again, I've been chasing this with the tech team today and have a couple of questions - could you please let me know the specific BIOS and driver versions, as well as the devices you've tried so I can forward these details to the technical team?

My understanding at present is that you've got 4 ports working fully, but the remaining 6 will not detect any of your devices - is that correct?

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Correct.

Currently, I have my Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset plugged in and my G15 keyboard into the back. I'm using my Ballista Mk-1 mouse on the front I/O panel as the back I/O is too temperamental.

I'll get the BIOS revisions listed later today as I'm just heading out the door now.

10. Jim - ASUS

OK, no problem. I'll send all the info together later today once you've let me know :)

11. JohnUnger

JohnUnger What's a Dremel?

I was going to have the same thing. But decided against. I don't think that I need such expensive software for my assignment writing services. So I need something cheaper, do you have anything in mind?

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Sorry for the obscenely late reply to this!

I've updated the BIOS and USB drivers to the latest versions.

The Asmedia USB3/3.1 update won't install as it says that it cannot detect the exTensible Host Controller, despite it being in the Device List.

There is a REAM of items in the device manager with issues:

[​IMG]

2 ports work, the other 8 do not. I am almost entirely dependant upon the front USB 2.0 ports for my peripherals and external devices.

I have my headphone plugged into one of the ports that are not working and they are receiving enough power to show that they are plugged in, but not fully powered nor detected.

I am only able to use the ports highlighted in the image below.
    [​IMG]

Getting the sinking feeling that the ports are just borked and there is nothing I can update/flash/tweak to get them working.

I cannot afford to buy a new board and I cannot afford to RMA the board as I use this machine on a daily basis for work and cannot be left without a motherboard for a month.

Also, yes, everything is enabled in the BIOS, the USB ports are listed, but nothing will power up when connected to them. Driving me demented now.

13. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I get the same error installing the asmedia driver, but the rear ports all work fine and the front ones attached to a header on the board also do. I've two audio devices, two hubs, webcam and footswitch hooked up to them. I think they're part of the Intel chipset drivers.

I've a fresh install on there so i'l have a gander when I'm home at the device manager.

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Definitely try the Intel chipset drivers, it should sort out the SM Bus Controller driver at least.

If your running Windows 8/8.1, it has built in support for USB 3.0. It looks like OP is running Win 7, looking at the device manager window, which doesn't.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2015
    [ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Is it really something that simple? Please let it be so...

Am I screwed using W7 and need to update to something newer, or should the Intel driver work?

I honestly didn't know that W7 doesn't support USB 3.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, the Intel chipset driver got rid of all but one of those errors! Thanks Lancer! Rep given accordingly :D

17. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Win 7 does support USB 3, it just needs extra drivers to do it. Win 8 has generic ones built in.

Lovely stuff, glad it sorted most of them anyway. If you head back into device manager, right click on the one that's left, go to properties, select the details tab and then hardware IDs in the property drop down box, what's the VEN_ and DEV_ ? I can identify it for you then.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

The values that are listed are:

ACPI\PNP0A0A

*PNP0A0A

I cannot believe that it has been something this simple...

19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Ah, that'll be the Asus Probe II Sense driver which you can find here. Has the chipset driver helped with the USB ports at all?

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Sadly, no.

Moved the headphones to a USB 3.0 port and the in-line switch lights up like it is receiving power, but the machine is turned off (purple). If I move it back to the other port, the light glows blue.

I'll restart and have a look at the BIOS and see if anything has changed there.

Asmedia Host Controller issue is still playing up.