1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Best way to move large files from HDD on Mac to windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hairyknacker, 9 Feb 2015.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Any ideas with this one- an externall HDD that has approx. 3-4TB of data- vids and photos mainly- has been happily working in windows for a while now is not recognised at all and when plugged in stated "format drive in order to work"
    If I plug the drive into my very old iMac, all files are recognised no problem

How can I move these files from this hdd on the mac to another drive so I can get them back under my windows pc

TVMIA

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Connect the old drive and a new drive to your Mac. Make sure the new drive is formatted in a way your Windows box can understand (i.e. not HFS+). Drag the contents of the old drive onto the new drive. Eject the new drive. Dun.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Or, just install HFS Explorer or a trial of MacDrive on your PC. HFS Explorer is, as I recall, free (or it was), and MacDrive is paid-for. There's a trial of MacDrive available though.

4. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

:DThanks for the replies- I will try them now

5. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

I tried HFS and MacDrive but both couldn't see the drive on my pc for some odd reason. Drive was and is seen perfectly fine on my old iMac so only way I have found to move the files was by networking it and sending files over wired network- is taking a bloody age but at least it seems to work and I didn't have to worry about the FAT32 4GB file limit either.

Thanks for your responses again- much appreciated

6. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Had a brainwave!- attached said drive to my Synology NAS USB port and is recognised no bother so can now shift all the files to my new drive