1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage The mysterious "a disk read error has occurred" message.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Yadda, 10 Sep 2015.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I had this appear last night when restarting after a crash. DOS screen, very early in the boot sequence, "a disk read error has occurred, press ctrl +alt + delete". Afterwards the PC was behaving very strangely, sometimes hanging during post and when not, it was taking seemingly for ever to boot from my Windows 10 DVD. I decided to leave it for the night and when I switched it on just now, it booted all by itself into recovery mode, said it found nothing wrong and continued to load Windows. Now everything seems fine again. :confused:

I'm new to both Windows 10 and SSD's but this kind of thing never happened for me with Windows 7 (or any other Windows OS) and traditional hard drives. Any idea what's going on?

Last edited: 10 Sep 2015
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Just a quick update - it's still working fine and there's been no recurrence of the dreaded message.

I've still no idea what caused it or what resolved it but I'm fine with that, as long as it doesn't happen again! :cooldude:

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The bad news is this happened again. The good news is that I'm pretty sure it's now fixed.

The culprit? A dodgy sata cable on the SSD. It seems that as well as the boot issue, it was the cable that was responsible for causing the crashes in the first place and not my overclocks in combination with new drivers/new OS as I first suspected. Since swapping the sata cable out for another one it's been solid.

Computers, eh? :rolleyes:

:)

Last edited: 16 Sep 2015
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Sometimes it's the daftest parts that don't work. I wonder how many people never think to check the cables and end up buying new parts unnecessarily.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, for sure.

Normally, swapping the cable would be the 2nd thing I'd try, after checking it's properly inserted. This was a strange one though because the SSD appeared to be working fine and because I'd also upgraded to Windows 10, I was chasing the wrong rabbit for a while, so to speak.

Lesson learned (again): don't get tunnel visioned. Start with the simple things. :)

Last edited: 16 Sep 2015