1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Is my RAM Faulty.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 24 Aug 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Had sporadic issues since this build was completed but nothing I could really put my finger on. It was suggested that there was an issue with the RAM but running Memtest overnight did not throw up, any errors.
    Recently I have been trying to install Windows 7 on a new SSD via a new USB as it is not quite straight forward with the Asus z170m mobo and USB 3 drivers. But I kept on getting this error message at some point during the installation: Windows cannot install required files error 0x80070570
    The file may be corrupt or missing.. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart installation.

I tried many suggestions but none worked until I removed 3 sticks of RAM (12Gb) whereupon Windows 7 installed without a hitch.

Does this suggest I have actually got a fault in one or more sticks of RAM?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

OK, first things first, which version of MemTest did you use? MemTest86 or MemTest86+?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Memtest 86+

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have had similar issues to this in the past.
    Does your system have a DVD RW? If so, go old school, burn a Windows install DVD and try that.
    Have you tried a different USB stick with a newly downloaded Windows ISO? Get them from here legally:-
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
    And burn following instructions here:-
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-burn-your-windows-7-iso-to-dvd-disc/

Both of these worth a try as I reckon there is nothing wrong with your RAM.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Oh I see.
    Have you had issues since the successful install that suggest you have a RAM issue then?

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

At the moment I am trying to install updates who which Microsoft made so much harder to do in it's quest for us all to embrace Windows 10. Which oddly I will do. But Windows 10 will only install over a fully updated, in my case, Windows 7. at the moment auto patcher is trying to do it's thing and I stil;l only have one stick of RAM installed.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

OK, for want of a better phrase, it's crap :D

Get this to burn to a disc or this to go on a USB stick.

Then put all your RAM in, and UEFI boot from disc/USB. Don't legacy boot it or it'll run the old version which is equally useless.

If your RAM is faulty, it will find it. It needs to run for 4 passes, though usually it finds errors in the first pass.

I know you've basically already done this, but I've had MemTest86+ miss things that MemTest86 found.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will try that, thanks.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ran Memtest 86 this morning from 4am and after 5 passes I have no errors as such but I do have this sentence, which I would expect to hear in a question to the bright young things, where not only would I not know the answer but the question would dumbfound me.

The 2 sentences were: "(Note) RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips."
    Make of that what you will.

Edit: Seems it is little to worry about, though my RAM is not Corsair but I suspect it applies to all brands. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=151831