1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FTTC/VDSL router recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jewelie, 4 Sep 2016.

1. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

Hi folks!

We need to get a new router soon, as we'll probably move ISP soon but have a complicated configuration (currently with TalkTalk using their HG635 which does all of this bar reliability but I think it may be on its last legs and could be hard to migrate to other ISPs.)

So, we're looking for VDSL2/ADSL router recommendations.... and who better to ask than the good folks at the Bit Tech forums. :thumb:

Must haves-
    • VDSL & ADSL compatibility (we're currently FTTC/VDSL but may have to go back to ADSL.)*
    • A DHCP service with ability to service fixed IPs to at least 16 MACs (i.e. for static IPs on the local network that don't have to be configured within each individual device.)
    • Use a hard drive in a USB socket to serve files.
    • Samba/SMB/Windows network access to the drive or FTP access to the drive.
    • Reliable, well behaved, DNLA media server (i.e. no stupid 100 file limit or a service that thinks mp4s should only be considered audio streams.)
    • Reliable rather than fast VDSL/ADSL.
    • Reliable rather than fast WiFi (e.g. for game streaming via NVidia Game Stream / Moonlight - this is where the TalkTalk HG635 sucks.)
    • + usual stuff like ability to redirect incoming ports through the NAT etc.

Very much preferred-
    • 1Gbps ports
    • YouView stream compatibility
    • Decent warranty (2years or more)
    • 5GHz WiFi (strong.)
    • Cost <£90 (Because fiancée; however I can argue that with a decent router it won't matter too much which ISP we're with and we can just go with the cheapest - at the moment we're out of contract and paying £38/month for 38Mbps down / 2Mbps up FTTC.)

Not too worried about connection latency etc as although I game it's not twitch-FPS stuff - I like old-school stuff with stories and prefer co-op rather than competitive. Not too worried about connection or WiFi speed, more interested in reliability; the HG635 has unreliable WiFi and we're in small flat in a built up area, which can make gaming via NVidia Gamestream + Moonlight Game Streaming + Android Wikipad tablet a pain. The Wikipad has a Tegra 3 and is not the best WiFi but it has a lovely built-in XBox-style controller so won't be being changed any time soon - I only need a reliable 7Mbps stream to stream games over WiFi but currently struggle to get that completely reliably at 15ft from the router. (The HG635 seems to suffer from Wi-Fi noise burst errors - which others have noticed too )

So, any thoughts? :)

Regards
    Julie
    xxx

Last edited: 11 Sep 2016
  2. jewelie

Nobody got any thoughts? :(

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

not many routers have dual vdsl, but you can get a multi wan router that either has multiple ethernet wan ports, and use 2 draytek vigor 130 adsl/vdsl modems

I am currently using 2 modified firmware v3 bt openreach vdsl modems, and a netgear srx5308

4. jewelie

Sorry, I see what you mean, I should have been clearer- by dual I just meant both ADSL & VDSL within the same device. :D (Many recommendations that have been made to me were ADSL only.)

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ah ok, lol, draytek have some very good adsl/vdsl routers, but may be more than you want to spend. They tend to be small business class and have a better reliability than consumer class

Draytek Vigor 2860