1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 24" monitor, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WozzaGB, 11 Nov 2016.

1. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Hi All

Looking at purchasing a new 24 inch monitor to replace my current Samsung 20" panel. The main uses would be gaming and photo editing, so picture quality and colour accuracy would be important. Have been looking at various reviews and there are so many suggested around my price range (top end of around £200 ideally).

So far these two seem to stand out:
    dell u2417h (Replaces the popular u2414h)
    Samsung S24E390HL

Can anyone share their experience of these, or suggest alternate options. The Dell costs a fair bit more, not sure if the performance difference (if any), justifies it.

Just completed a recent build, so my gfx card (gtx1060 6GB) might be complete overkill for this kind of resolution. Thoughts?

Thanks

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I've had a 2412m for a few years now and never had a problem, gaming, graphics work, everything I have thrown at it it has never shown a weakness. The build quality is second to none, very solid, from the stand to the frame to panel.

If you are going to be doing picture work I would suggest looking for a 16:10 monitor rather than 16:9. The small extra height makes a world of difference in my opinion.

The price of the Samsung would make me think that while the panel may be decent corners will have been cut in other places, such as the stand etc which make a world of difference when it comes to pleasure of use.

Remember the monitor is the thing that you are always using the most so don't cut corners, it is a false economy, a good monitor now will be good for more than 5 years easily.

The Samsung is a PLS panel vs. the IPS of the Dell. I pulled this to help you understand that:
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    PLS vs. IPS Comparison
    PLS (Plane to Line Switching) are quite similar to IPS panels, so much so that they have the same advantages and disadvantages, with a couple extra minor advantages. PLS is produced by Samsung, who claims that compared to IPS panels, PLS panels have better viewing angles, a 10% increase in brightness, 15% decrease in production costs, increased image quality, and allow for flexible panels. Samsung’s PLS panels have been known to overclock well in monitors such as the QNIX 2710 in particular. Overall, PLS is basically Samsung’s version of IPS, as it is very similar in functionality (and even name). AHVA is also very similar to IPS and PLS, and differentiation between them is rare, although it should not be confused with the next panel type.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Have a look on NRG IT, they have had a lot of great feedback from people on here who have brought from them. They do refurbished Dell monitors but apparently you wold never guess they were refurbished.

What's your budget?

Edit: I just had a look and maybe something like this would suit you:

https://www.nrgit.biz/products/dell-u2415-ultrasharp-hd-24-inch-monitor

(mention you were recommended by this site and there is a further discount I believe)

Last edited: 11 Nov 2016
  3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I won't be buying a dell monitor again, one of mine died and the other one has a weird mark down one side of the panel, like a blurry mark.

4. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

From what I have read on the 2417h it also houses a Samsung PLS panel, unlike the LG IPS in the 2414h. The only disadvantages I can find on the Samsung S24E390HL, is that the stand doesn't have the same adjustability as the Dell, and a different selection of ports, for approx £60 less. Both seem to have good reviews here:

https://pcmonitors.info/

Both are within my budget though, was ideally looking around the £200 mark. As you have mentioned holding onto a decent panel for a number of years, would you still recommend 1080P, or do I need to look at stretching to QHD? I think price wise I need to rule out 4k.

Thanks for the tip on NRG:IT, they seem to have some good prices. Currently doing some more reading on the advantages/disadvantages of 16:10 as an aspect ratio. Other than possible black bars in movies, is there any other disadvantages to 16:10? Do any games display poorly at 16:10 as opposed to 16:9?

5. MightyBenihana

Not that I have encountered but for productivity I find 16:10 so much better, 16:9 seems so thin by comparison, I could never go back. 16:10 is 1920x1200 so it takes a small bit more to drive with your GFX card but it might be 1 fps difference only really most of the time, if even that. QHD or higher has its benefits if you are really doing photo work it may be worth it but I have never felt held back, depends how seriously you do these things. The only reason I may change the monitor I have is because I really fancy a 34" 21:9.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I would agree a U2412M or it's replacement the U2415 would be an excellent choice. love my 2412.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Another vote for the Dell U2412M. I love mine, it's been absolutely flawless. I upgraded from a 1680x1050 Samsung TN panel and the difference was staggering - the single best upgrade I've ever made.

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

That's the U2412M, the panel is failing on the right hand side. I honestly wouldn't touch dell monitors again.

9. MightyBenihana

I'm not sure how useful anecdotal evidence is in terms of discerning quality, I appreciate you got a dud or two, but every company has them, it doesn't really say anything. I mean here already we have 3 people who have perfect models vs 1 that didn't. On top of this though is the Dell warranty for monitors which is by far one of the best around.

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

People are praising dell, I'm sharing my negative experiences, after all it's what the forums for.

11. MightyBenihana

Fair enough, I understand that, and appreciate what you are saying.

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Another U2412M user here (x2 actually). Have 16:10 Samsungs at work and the extra screen real estate is excellent.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I have a viewsonic VP-2365 IPS monitor, which granted is only 23" but is a nice pixel density for 1080p. In fact I like viewsonic enough that I also have a VP2770 1440p monitor. I would recommend them over dell given my experience with the dell monitor I bought and returned for the VP2270.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I agree with MightyBenihana that 16:10 is preferable if you plan to use the monitor for productivity as well as recreation, but 16:9 isn't all that bad... it will just take some getting used to.

Like modd1uk I also have bad experiences with Dell monitors (currently on my second U3014 which still has its annoying misgivings but I can live with it, even for near enough £700 that it cost me), but I would agree that they do have good screens that are attractively priced. I advised one of my mates to get the U2415 and he's been using it for around a year now and is extremely pleased with it.

I would however disagree with the claim that Dell have one of the best monitor warranties around... if you have a brand new unit that develops a fault within 3 years they will exchange it for a reconditioned unit, which is not great if your screen develops a fault early on. Some other companies will give you a brand new replacement, which you will never get from Dell.

Anyways, Dell bashing aside, I'd also suggest taking a look at PLS screen technology. It's a much cheaper technology than IPS but has most of the benefits so the prices are more attractive. :)