1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Glossy screen question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 25 Dec 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK, so is a glossy screen the actual LCD or is it something they put over the LCD?

I'm wondering if my scratched monitor would be easily repaired (by using some 1mm plexi) or if it's FUBAR and I should try drastic measures (like polishes and compounds).

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The only glossy screen I have is on a 27" iMac, so may not be the same as other monitors, but. There's a glass panel in front of the screen which can be removed and whilst this does reduce the 'glossy-ness' of the screen it is still far glossier than any other monitor I have!

I would guess it's just a very thin overlay on the actual panel itself, whether this could be polished or not I've no idea though.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thanks. Well I guess I will get bored enough at some point to take it apart :D Hoping it's just a cover and not the screen itself.

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I've repaired dozens LCD's by sanding out scratches with high grit paper and re coating the entire screen with anti glare spray (hard to find anymore, as it was marketed for CRTs). It took a lot of effort and the results occasionally didn't come out perfect, so only do it as a last resort.