1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Reference 970 to fit 670 blocks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrMonkeyChunks, 26 Sep 2014.

1. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

From what I understand the reference design 970 fits the old 670 waterblocks (which I happen to already possess)

I have a couple of questions really:

1. Is the upgrade from 670 to 970 worth it performance wise?

2. Whilst the 670 block may fit the 970 PCB will it still cool everything (ie no differently placed RAM or other parts)

3. How long after release would you expect to start seeing waterblocks for the non-reference designs such as the EVGA ACX ?

Thanks

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Noticed the Zotac GTX 970 has a short PCB but not sure what constitutes a 'reference' design at this point. The jump from GTX 670 to GTX 970 would be worthwhile.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Used to own a 670.
    Received my MSI GTX 970 yesterday.
    Worth the upgrade IMO

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What is the 'reference' GTX 970 design anyway?

Having one hell of a time figuring out what PCB layout is reference!

5. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

As I understand it the 'reference' design is the short PCB (like the 670) often using the stock blower coolers.

Everything else with the third party coolers seems to use a longer (980?) card.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There's no such thing as a reference design for the 970's.

I've been researching extensively as was just about to get a new case and gpu block so i can deploy all the expensive watercooling gear that's lying idle while i'm working *cough-notdoinganything-cough* on my case mod. Then the new cards came out and i want one, but probably not for a couple of months and will be getting the case in the next week and want my loop in right away.

Looking through EKWB configurator and all the reviews, it looks like some cards use a 670 based PCB while others use a 760 based pcb. If you look at of the EVGA 760 SC pcb, it's virtually identical to the one of the 970 bt reviewed. waterblock would probably fit just fine.

760 SC
    [​IMG]

970 SC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Sep 2014
  7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Also done a little research and it looks like the bog standard Palit GTX 970 is compatible with the reference GTX 670 waterblock from EK...

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=1525

The cheapest available as well at £252...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-013-PL

From a quick visual inspection the GTX 670 waterblock should cool a GTX 970 better than the GPU it was made for since the memory placement is on one side and the block would cool the lot! Scope to make it a single slot card as well! :dremel:

8. The_Crapman

I went to to buy the alphacool 670 block last night from aquatining and they've now sold out :waah:. Was going to buy it the night before but wanted to do more research to make sure it would fit, wish I'd just got it now.

Funnily enough the reason I got the phantom 670 is all the memory chips are on the gpu side for better cooling. At a loss as to what to do now as that block is £80 plus anywhere else that still has them and was 50 on aquatuning.

The alternative would be to get a 760 block and buy one of those types of 970, as I do love the way those blocks look.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2014
  9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

There is an alternative!

Advisory PM inbound.

10. The_Crapman