1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project BluBawx I by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 3 Jan 2009.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Here I am again to start off the new year with a new build. But it's not going to be huge. Not this time. I love large full-towers full of 800 lbs. of liquids and heat-producing hardware, sure, but I've decided to go the exact opposite direction. I've always wanted to build something small; like really small. I just never got around to it. And I was waiting for the hardware to get up to snuff for what I wanted to do with this vaporous idea of a build that had been bouncing around in the noggin. I think it's finally here. And a few of my piers here on B-T have repeatedly stated for me to do a scratch-build, so I'm relenting. I'm throwing caution to the reckless wind. I'm just going to see what happens. This will be a HTPC build. And I've been hard at work on it already. Hell, I even scratch-designed a quasi-Blu-Ray font for the build's name because I'm anal. :laugh: And yes, the "I" in the name signifies that I may continue to build future editions of it if this one works out well.

Anyways, I present to you my first 'scratch-build' project.

I'm going to be designing and cutting this thing out of different kinds of acrylic. Namely, transparent blue, solid black, and a cool mirror-blue acrylic for accents I've been itching to try. I may change things; I may not. Just have to see how it goes, ya know? ;)

This build will comprise a few familiar parts. Namely, the motherboard. Because B-T was kind enough to review this board and what they found really perked my ears up (and eyes, if that's possible). Finally, a board that can get desktop performance out of a mini-ITX board, and fullHD playback too. ;) Of course, I speak of the J&W® Minix™ motherboard.

System Specs (subject to change since it's not totally set in stone yet):

Motherboard: J&W® Minix™ mini-ITX 780G AMD board
    CPU: AMD X2 5050e 45w AM2
    RAM: GSkill DDR2-800 4gb SO-DIMM kit
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 2.5" SATA II
    Optical: LG GGC-H20LK Blu-Ray Disc / HD DVD / DVD combo unit SATA
    OS: not decided on yet, but probably Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    PSU: not decided on yet, but I have an idea

Let's get started, shall we?

Here's a concept of what I'm going to build...

[​IMG]

It's been interesting, to say the least. I've probably revised things with this build design over 17 times at this point. :hehe: I keep going tiny, then I expand it back out because I want more airflow, then I shrink it back down because of size. I've had designs with fullsize PSU's in it; others with 5 HDDs in it; even one with it on water with a custom chipset block, etc. I just realized I wanted to keep it simple and easy to maintain. As well as reasonably efficient, but mostly QUIET.

While I'm working on finalizing intricacies with the design, I'll start with some of the actual hardware.

Here's the motherboard. B-T was right; neat packaging!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a CD-R on top of the box for size comparison. It takes a bit getting used to looking at, I know. :lol:

[​IMG]

Here's some more of the junk-- er, stuff going in the build...

[​IMG]

HDD chosen....

[​IMG]

Let's have a closer look at the chipset on the board. Hmm... I'm curious as to why this thing seems to cook so bad.

[​IMG]

Let's pop the stock sink off and have a look, shall we?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] That would be part of the problem. Augh. Okay, let's fix this up a bit.

...I really hate this stuff. Frackin' dried-bubblegum-under-the-lunch-table-at-a-filth-elementary-school TIM... ugh.... It's [​IMG]!

After a quick cleaning with some TIM cleaning solution, this should make it a bit better.

[​IMG]

And a little bit of some Céramique...

[​IMG]

And pop the sink back on. I haven't been able to check on temps because I haven't actually run electricity through it at this point, but later on I was able to check power at the wall. Seems like the system under OS install was hitting 141w according to my Back-UPS. I don't think it's that high, TBH. Have to think I only have one HDD, and it's a 2.5". As well as one optical unit, 45w CPU and I'm not OCing or anything of that sort, and two 120mm low-power fans. Anyways, after I got into BIOS and let it sit for a while, BIOS was reporting that the NB was running around 52-degrees with a fan gently blowing over it. That seems consistent with others who have this board, but I haven't been able to flex the system's muscles just yet, so I really have no idea, lol. You're stressing me out, stop asking! :lol: System idled at 95w or so, according to the Back-UPS. Again, I don't think it's that accurate. I really hope the PSU I'm thinking of going with will handle this system fine! :worried: I'll get to that later.

Installing the RAM... angle insert...click!

[​IMG]

Let's install the CPU...

[​IMG]

And some TIM of choice...

[​IMG]

There we go. All done.

Here's the CPU cooler I've tentatively chosen. The Silverstone SST-NT07-AM2 1U cooler for up to 65w CPUs. Seemed to fit the bill fine what I need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting on top of board to see if I have any clearance issues. Everything looks fine. Looks like it'll fit like a glove in there. I'm thinking of tossing the stock fan also for a thicker 25mm 80mm fan. I'll get to that later on though.

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Sep 2011
  2. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Yay! Another EEL build!

OCD people won't be able to get over the name. Bawx isn't as good as box!

BluBox seems a bit bland though

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. 'BAWX' is on purpose, because it gives it personality. If they don't like it, tough. :hehe: Besides, 'BluBox' has already been used, I believe.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Awwh, that motherboard is so cute... :p

5. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

This looks like a fun build. I'll be watching!

6. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Awesome, that motherboard really is small! Maybe you are compensating for having such a large...

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

:)

Thanks, Craig!

...Tower? Yeah, my main rig is kinda big, isn't it? ;)

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Yippee!!!!
    E.E.L. has joined the ranks of the mini-ITX crowd as well as the scratch build crowd. The size is spot on - H2O-C7 is 8" X 11 3/4 inches x 5" because of my pump/res. Could use a slot loading optical and blow away a Mac Mini. I like!

I wait and watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] snuff!

john

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, John! LOL.

Yeah, I did initially want to go slotload but Blu-Ray Disc slotloaders were so bloody expensive, it was a total turn-off. I just decided on a combo drive that has really good reviews.

10. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

woohoo!!!!! another mod by E.E.L.!!!! w00t! i can't wait to how this turns out. I've been wanting to do a m-ITX build for so long, plus the Atom boards are incredibly cheap compared to some of the Jetway's and VIA's.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that CPU cooler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

11. nhenhophach

nhenhophach Bit-tech

I am making same you. I will post full.

[​IMG]

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks for looking in, man!

No problem. I got it from Performance-PCs. It's easy as pie to install too. Even comes with a solid metal backplate for the mobo.

13. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Very interesting. Can't wait to see how it performs.

14. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I like the material choice and design! How big will the case be roughly?

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Should perform admirably, if others using this board is something to go by.

Thanks! Um, size? I'd try looking at the concept drawing a little closer... ;)

16. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

:duh:

17. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

THIS MOD RAWX :lol:

Beware,some of the 65nm K8's have a bug with their temp reporting. My 4850e is reporting a temp of 5c which is below ambient. That is a very nice board you have, but it is to expensive for me.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: You kill me!

You are keeping it pretty simple considering the arsenal at your disposal. I guess you shouldn't get too wild with a mirror material though... It's already fancy. If you get too wild with it you end up with Japanese garbage truck again.:D

19. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Sweet mini-mawd you got going there EEL! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

:cooldude:

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

HAHAH!! Had to say it, man! ;)

Thanks, man! My 5050e seems to be right. I was a bit worried, but it seems I got a good one. Maybe they fixed the issue with the 5050e?

LOL. Man, I'm never gonna hear the end of the garbage truck, am I?

Thanks, Bod!