1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crackdown 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

So you slagged it off mercilessly, but you still gave it a six?

3. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

If that's a six, what does a game have to do to score a one or two?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It literally has to be a pile of turd on Joe's desk

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

In cases like this it can be hard to put the exact point across. In short, I didn't like Crackdown 2. I found it tired, dull, repetitive and bolstered with cheap and boring content (orbs, rather than interesting missions for example). That said, all the underlying systems do work and work reasonably well. It has co-op, which is nice. There's a certain amount of joy to be gleaned from "Can I climb up that?" and "I'll try this!".

In the end, a five or lower felt too harsh given that these mechanics do work. A seven too high, given that it is flat and depressingly shallow and familiar. A six communicates that this isn't a great game, but makes it clear that it isn't outright broken. It also makes it clear that, if you think you like what Crackdown 2 offers, then you might have a different opinion.

Contrary to popular opinion, we do use the full scale. I have given 4s and lower in the past. However, we also filter the games we review so we tend not to review the games that nobody would ever buy and are obviously rubbish.

6. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Joe, it's interesting that you never mention the first Crackdown. Did you play it? If so, how would you compare it with the sequel?

Personally, I found the first game to be as dull and uninspiring as your review makes the second game sound, but I know lots of other people liked it.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

This is a shame. I loved the first Crackdown, and played it incessantly(sp?) with my cousin cooperatively. Great fun. I guess I'll find something else this time around.

8. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I saw a Quick Look of the demo over on Giant Bomb. After only 20 minutes they too started commenting on the repetitiveness of the gameplay - I can't imagine what the full game would be like.

I suppose this is what happens when one good developer, Realtime Worlds, splits into two separate developers (Realtime Worlds and Ruffian Games) - you end up with two disappointing games.

9. Apexgun

Apexgun What's a Dremel?

I actually quite liked the first crackdown, it was funny, fun and different I can't remeber any other game that had this mix of sandbox, RPG, Action adventure to it the closest games to it now in my opinion are prototype and infamous. Anybody know any other games that are similar? and better?

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just Cause 2

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I really like the first Crackdown game on the 360 (I don't know if these follow on from the old top down Mega Drive games, I suspect not), which suprised me as I was expecting a bad GTA clone (and it's not as if I liked any of the GTA games).

tbh, I have the feeling that Joe wouldn't have liked the first game either.

12. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I had a go at the C2 demo and it didn't feel as good as the first one for the reasons that Joe said, but is that not what always happens with squeals to big games?

I think I'm gona have to try out Just Cause 2 based on what people have said here.

APB is the better of the 2 games, and is not bad really, but I was hoping that APB would be an online crackdown.

13. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

14. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

If you liked Crackdown 1, you'll love Crackdown 2.

If you're called Joe, you obviously didn't play the first, and hated Crackdown 2 so much you gave it a six. That's a 2:1 in terms of university grading, well above a pass.

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

On what planet is playing an earlier version of the game a requirement to enjoying the sequel? Especially if one of the criticisms levelled at said sequel is a lack of originality and tedium.

16. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Based on this review, this game looks like a boring version of Just Cause 2.

Which is saying a lot, considering Just Cause 2 was boring as hell.

17. Apexgun

Apexgun What's a Dremel?

I've got to go with the flow here, Just cause 2 would seem the better game although I'm willing to bet that the voices in crackdown 2 are no where near as annoying as those in just cause 2.

18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I enjoyed the first game and missing Crackdown 2 was the only thing I'd have regretted about not having an RROD 360 anymore. Now I feel better about it.

19. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

A lot of people like more of the same. Look at Nintendo's recent release catalog.

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think this should have been a 5 at the most based on the conclusion.