1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which 2TB HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 3 Apr 2011.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hey guys,

I'm after a pair of 2TB HDDs, one is for my /home partition (effectively 'My Documents' on linux) and the other is a backup of the first. This Seagate LP is certainly the one of the cheapest. It gets good reviews too, beating most 'green' drives and rivaling the 7200rpm ones, but I've never owned a Seagate drive before, are they ok?

In an ideal world I'd have a WD Black and a Green for use and backup respectively, but that's almost £200 of drive, what would you guys do?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i stay away from seagates anymore. their build quality has gone down drastically since their acquisition of maxtor. i've had 4 failures in the last 3 years with seagates.
    i'd go with either a samsung or hitachi, depending on which i could get cheaper.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Samsung F4's all the way.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

This or the F3EG

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

These are what I'm using in my RAID1 array.

6. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Another vote for Samsung drives. I'd stick with the F4 though, it's quieter than the F3EG and cheaper too (on Newegg).

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I always stay away from Seagate drives because of reliability, and I don't really trust Samsung drives either to be honest. A couple of friends had F1's fail on them and I had a single failure of an F1 in a customers PC as well. Call me a fanboy but I'm sticking with WD drives all the way. I'm currently using five 2TB Caviar green (WD20EARS) drives and two of their older 1TB brothers in my own storage/backup configuration and they're performing really nicely.

8. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

My F3EG is still going strong :D

9. The_Beast

The F4 2TB wasn't out when I bought the F3EG. As far as I can tell they put out the same noise level

I like WD drives too but I don't like the "green" line they put out. If you compare some of the reviews on newegg, the samsung is higher rated and seems like there are less failures. I do however like the "black" series of drives.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

If I need a high performance drive, it's gotta be WD Black all the way. But for mass-storage I'd go with the F4's.

11. Unicorn

Yeah, my laptop and one of my desktops run on Scorpio Black and Caviar Black drives and they're really good, but they're way too expensive to put 5 or 10 of in my server :D And like i said, I hav some mistrust for Samsung drives. None of my WD Cav Green's have failed yet, and they're on 24/7,365 ;)

12. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I'm just going off what SPCR found. They claim it's quieter and uses less power.

13. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Another vote for Samsung, I have an F3EGs and two F4s in my server. They're pretty much identical in terms of noise (i.e. barely audible).

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I'm a samsung f3 user here for my 1tb drives. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a WD caviar black in a 2tb drive. 5 year warranty vs 3, but hey. I suppose the fact that the difference in price between the f4 and WD is quite a bit.

15. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Actually I mentioned the Blacks in my OP, but they're over twice the price of the Seagates, Samsungs and WD Greens.

I was really hoping fro something faster than the WD Green, I have a 1.5TB one of those that's too slow for what I had in mind, I wish there was a F3 2TB, a fast one like the 1TB ones. Seems the general consensus is either an F4, WD Green or if I can justify the black then going for that? There's no middle ground?

16. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

+1 for the F4s. Low-cost / high reliability Cheesecake.

17. The_Beast

Take a look at the comparison between the WD Black, Green, F4EG and the cuda XT

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...4718]=on the auto url this is being a bitch

18. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

At work the highest failure rate drives we sell are Seagate's. I don't own one, I personally only have Samsung and Hitachi Drives (+ my Corsair SSD) and have never had issues. One of our customers (who used to be a "fanboy" of seagate" has just ripped out 4x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drives and replaced them with Western Digital RAID drives. The Seagate's kept falling over and upsetting his RAID 10 setup. He finally bit the bullet when he realised he had RMA'd every one of the 4 drives. At work we consider Seagate Certified Repaired HDD's as good as waving your data/install goodbye. We give those to people we don't like :D (this never really happens :) )

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  19. Unicorn

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Every Seagate I've owned... and all the ones I still own, have reallocated sectors. The one I currently have had reallocated sectors out of the box. The sector count goes up monthly too.

I've had no problems with Samsung drives.

I have WD Greens in my servers (8 of them), and I've already had one failure. Since then all has been fine however.