1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs A Week With Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 28 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Personally I've found Windows 8 to be very mixed. Whilst I didn't like the UI, that was simple enough to change and is now fine. What I hated though, was how Windows 8 destroyed all my audio input drivers, seemingly irreparably. I've tried uninstalling them, re-installing them, updating etc, nope. I can no longer use the mic and line-in ports on my motherboard now, which is frustrating beyond belief.

The only fix I've found so far is using a Griffin iMic to change the inputs to USB instead, which sees to function without a hitch. Luckily I had one lying about from my days as an iMac user. I can imagine a sound card of any variety would also do the trick.

Still, the boot times (yes I know, not a proper boot up so to speak) are much lower than before, the sleep time is also much lower, which is nice too.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

AAAAAnd cue endless bickering between those that say it's great and those that say it aint.
    Personally I really dislike it, feels very conflicted and it's given me a huge shove towards running Linux on my main rig full time if this is the future.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I see what you did there.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I have found that using start8, removing the left side hot corners and defaulting items to open with their desktop program has pretty much nullified any metro related issues I have with Windows 8. After those minor changes I'm left with an overall improved version of windows 7. I never see metro unless I choose to.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013
  6. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

I've played around with Windows 8 and enjoyed using it but there is very little Windows 8 offers to justify spending any money upgrading from the fantastic Windows 7.

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Just so you know, you're not forced to sign in with a Microsoft account. You can create a local account instead; of course, the local account button was probably in 6pt font on the bottom left corner of the initial login page.

Also, Win+C and Win+X.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The Skype issue is because the desktop version is not intended for Windows 8, though it still works if you want it. The Windows 8 version is the metro/modern version. The two won't talk to each other because they're different releases and it's not intended that you install both. It's using third party software that's caused your problem here.

The 'modern' apps are pretty much universally worse than desktop equivalents. We shouldn't be surprised by this as they're intended for poking with your fingers on a tablet. If you've got 8 on a desktop, use the desktop, it's better. The exception is things like Skype, Twitter etc which work pretty well snapped to one side of the screen. It would be good to get a few more options on the start screen for controlling software, such as uninstalling directly rather than taking you to the add/remove section of the control panel for non-modern apps.

There's no full shutdown in Windows 8, it's always hibernating to some degree, that's why it's so quick to boot. Regardless, hit ALT+F4 to get the shutdown dialogue, just as in every other version of Windows I can remember. To be honest though, CTRL+I and clicking twice is no more difficult than the windows key then clicking twice as it's been since XP. it's just that it's something new to remember. I'd like to see a clock and basic account control inc. shutdown and restart find their way onto the start screen, there's a lot of wasted space there at the moment, and it would be an easy way to appease some of the critics who seem to be lost without the start menu.

There's a typo in the last line of paragraph 15. There's no "Star Menu" in any version of Windows :p

Personally if you're on a desktop, just avoid the majority of the 'modern' apps, use the desktop most of the time and treat the Start Screen as a full-screen start menu (with better search capability). Learn a few shortcuts and it's actually faster to navigate around.

Not to mention that it's a faster OS anyway. Boot times and performance on lower powered hardware are both hugely improved over 7. My E-450 laptop is much better under 8 than any other OS I've had on it. MS just needs to tweak a few things here and there and I'll be happy.

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

It's not that hard to spot, it's even underlined IIRC. It's not like it's an extra step either, it's just done later on in the process. You used to have to create an account during the install.

Don't forget Win+I !!

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

My experience after a few months of using Windows 8 on my desktop:
    • I'm largely using the start screen as an improved start menu - I've pinned my regular apps there, with *very* frequently used apps pinned to my taskbar as well. Searching is stupidly easy.
    • There's still a dearth of apps (at least for me), even if you're using it on a tablet. That said I like using Nextgen Reader and Reddhub for when I just want to sit back and browse.
    • The Mail app has been improved a lot but is still kinda sucky. I've switched over to Mailbird now - it's a .NET desktop app but has a very nice Metro aesthetic (and it's far more functional).
    • Following on from the above, there seems to be a general lack of Metro apps that are as functional as their desktop counterparts. I think this has more to do with unimaginative or uninterested developers than anything to do with the platform, which is a shame really. A lot of the best devs seem to live exclusively in Apple-land for some reason :(
    • It's significantly faster than Windows 7, especially on my dad's Thinkpad. If nothing else, the performance improvement alone is worth upgrading (and Start8 exists if you find Metro completely offensive and you swear you won't adapt in a million years).
    • Having integrated antivirus is awesome. I don't even need to *think* about it, it's ready to go as soon as Windows is installed.
    • I just hit the computer's power button to shutdown. Is it really that hard?

That all said, literally the only thing that's stopping me switching over completely to Linux or OS X is PC games. Otherwise all of my stuff can be accomplished perfectly well in a platform-neutral manner.

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'll ask the same question I asked about 7: what new features does it have?

The answer for 7 was "effectively none", overlooking a few extremely trivial things that could have been added to XP with a service pack.

Worse, with 8, the new feature seems to be a UI that more or less everyone agrees is hideous; introductory articles almost all mention ways to get around it. I'm used to every new version of windows adding gradually more and more crap you have to turn off on install, but this is a pretty extreme example.

At some point it's necessary to accept that, much as we don't clamour for the latest feature update on, say, books, there may not be much of a need to keep tweaking operating systems. Sorry, MS, you're going to have to figure out how to make a living without selling us a bunch of futile new polishing every couple of years.

12. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

I dont really use Modern UI, hit Win+D upon booting. I do find that some search results ie win + 'search query' don't work the same as Win7, I can't find folder options for example atm which used to be win + folder. I think we are stuck in the stage where desktops are not always touch enabled, laptops are heading that way and tablets have it already. It is a hybrid input situation with touch, mouse and keyboard that will likely work well for Win8 just it is a bit ahead of the hardware.

13. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I bought windows ate when it was £24.99. I thought my windows 7 was screwed and I no longer have access to the win 7 key. Turns out my 7 is fine but I can't reinstall cos I no longer have the key (don't ask). Surprised to find win 8 easy to use and I have no major trouble moving between new UI and old. The only really bad thing I've found on 8 so far is the win 8 skype. It's the worst version of skype I've ever used.

I think the biggest problem with 8 is not the new UI but microsoft's pricing policy. Apple's O.S. retails for £13. Windows 8 pro costs £198. At that price they actually deserve to be pirated.

14. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

I used StartIsBack. Same principle, only £2. :)
    Since then I haven't looked back. I came to see that Win 8 is an evolutionary step up from Win 7, and actually I like the (small) changes and improvements. So I won't be going back to 7. But 8 is not a huge enough improvement over 7 to justify a high price (I got it while it was around £25).
    I feel very sorry for poor Windows 8. It's a perfectly good O/S that has been hobbled by having a hideous and inconvenient interface slapped over the top of it.

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Damn I was hoping for a definitive answer on if I should get Windows 8, but like the mental image of Antony "F"ing and blinding at his lap top. I already swear far too much so I'll wait just that lil bit longer me thinks

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Totally agree. DeviantArt and several other sites show possible Metro design concepts of popular apps like Facebook, Twitter etc. and they are all simply beautiful, so it's baffling how developers knock out pale, crappy apps.

Microsoft doesn't help either by simply not polishing their apps very much. They could be much better with little effort. Live Tiles are not fully exploited. The App store is a graphic nightmare. I mean, who the hell came up with that design?!?

Of course when a good app comes along, such as the BBC News app by Gripper, it is sabotaged by the BBC which nonetheless cannot be asked to develop one of its own.

Notch meanwhile will happily launch Minecraft on every closed platform going, except Windows 8, because he thinks it is... too closed. It isn't of course; it's as open as Windows 7, but even game programmers can be hypocritical pretentious assholes, I guess.

17. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I hated it, and a neighbour sent a laptop back because she didn't like it either.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

:thumb:

You could also try Modern Mix, for when you feel the need to run a Metro app in Windows:
    http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

19. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

My girlfriend got a win8 laptop, had a play, raged. It just makes no sense to me.

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

" Windows 8 demanded that I jump through numerous hoops first, including entering my Hotmail account username and password, before it let me log on "

Or just click local account. No offense but that article is retarded.

Tags: Add Tags