1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PlayStation Network outage to last indefinitely

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Glad I managed to unlock my Steam version of Portal 2 before it was shutdown. At least I can play co-op on the PC until this is sorted.

3. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Hilarious.

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Console players should be punished.

In all seriousness, this is a good example of why "call in" copy protection should NEVER be used.

Yours in PC Gaming Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

This is precisely the reason why you shouldn't use a USB stick as a backup. Amateurs.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Sony didn't listen to the outrage back when they filed a lawsuit against George “GeoHot” Hotz. Now Sony got punished for playing it hard.
    So this wasn't quiet unexpected and actually announced long ago to happen by anonymous.

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Had this been a PC based system, it would've been crucified. Why do I think this is going to be let slide because Sony is attempting to blame it on everyone else?

Hell, look at Ubisoft's DRM, that was torn apart for valid reasons, yet this is allowed to toddle off just because it's a console.

I miss the days of my PS2 and it's internet-free DRM system.

9. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I've got a PS3. I play it online quite a bit. I don't really care that PSN is offline, Life goes on. Although if PSN has been hacked then those responsible should be punished by the full force of the law.

*Waits for all the "Well Sony deserved it" comments

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The word "indefinitely" does mean "an undefined period of time" and without an end date, this is indeed the case. However, it is usually thrown about as another way of saying "forever", such as "this person was jailed indefinitely". There is no permanence in this case, yet this article fails to quote the 2nd paragraph which says they are working to get things back online quickly. They are also careful to not use the word "indefinite" anywhere in the post, they just said they don't have a timeframe yet.

The outage is inconvenient, but I'd rather they got it sorted properly. Portal 2 co-op will just have to wait.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Has this got anything to do with anonymous?

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I wonder what they did to the system to make it fail so miserably? You would have thought Sony would have a backup in place ..

13. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I'm sure the service will be back up in the next week or two. A few more days and it might just break the x-box record for downtime. At least the sun is shining and the beaches are nice this time of year. Get outside, air out your man-cave and try back in a week, if it's still not up, repeat the process. The games sure ain't going anywhere.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yes, Sony deserved it in regard to their actions taken against GeoHot.

Yes, it's the payback for the lawsuit against GeoHot.

Sony needs to develop new mechanisms to prevent this to happen again, now that the attackers know how to shut down the system.

15. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Anyone else thinking anonymous' threat and this are a little too coincidental?

16. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

No he broke the law. So Sony was correct.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

They've denied any involvement, and Sony haven't blamed them for it either.

Everyone just seems to have assumed they are to blame since they said they were going to target Sony, but it doesn't make sense as they said they would not do anything that directly harmed or affected consumers, which is obviously what is happening now the PSN has been down for nearly a week.

I'm more inclined to believe the above explanation that it's due to people exploiting the Rebug firmware to access items from the PSN store for free.

18. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say this is so much of a punishment of Sony, but screwing 75 million users. This is the big reason I disliked Anon going after PSN to begin with. It might hurt Sony, but its like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Who gets punished more, a multi billion dollar corporation, or the millions of people who use their service and "rely" on it for their gaming? I think the later gets nailed a lot worse than the corporation that might have to deal with a few million in losses.

I whole heartdly agree that this is one of the big reasons why I am vehemently against online copy protection. One time activation is one thing, but DRM that requires a constant connection to play just frankly sucks. If you connection goes down you can't play it, if the servers go down you can't play it. Especially for single player only games or ones where there IS single player it sucks. Online only games it makes sense, because frankly, you have to have the servers up or an internet connection to play anyway.

19. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I don't buy the redbug reason is sony really going to lose more money from a handful of hackers pirating games than it will/has from shutting down their entire network not even counting the reputation damage.

Technically he didn't break any law at most he violated the ToS which would be a civil case.

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

It's a Peter Griffin moment.. Hhhehhehhehhehehheheh

Tags: Add Tags