1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer's Project Fiona gets hardware target

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So it'll be expensive, heavy, with a 2.5hr (Max!) battery life, and play PC games like using the worlds heaviest console controller?

It'll probably be a lovely toy but PC hardware heat and power requirements is going to mean it'll be too big, drain too much juice from the cells and cost a LOT.

But I assume Razor know this so hopefully they'll have sourced a production run that will allow them to make money on small volume sales. It'll be a shame to see the product tank because Razor are relying on them selling them by the truckload.

3. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

they going to see the butts! its easy to make a dream machine from users voting and another for them to support the damn thing! they were all yes yes yes makes this , put that in. but now the price make make them go.. umm thats sooo cool, too bad i cant afford it.

i would say most that voted have rigs already and would rather buy a new GPU than that.

4. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

its a nice idea but very far fetched. It could do with some sort of wireless charging system...

Based on the expected prices it could run on something like this
    i7 3630qm
    8gb of ram
    120gb mSATA
    and something like a GTX660M - 675M or AMD equivalent.
    Windows 8 (non RT)

5. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Hopefully it's something more pedestrian than that. I've got a similar setup (i7 2720qm, 16gb ram, 120gb ssd, GT555M) and I'd be lucky to get 45 minutes of gaming on a 9-cell battery. For a tablet device that's pretty much unacceptable, especially when you consider that you'll probably get a 4-cell at most.

If Razer have any sense they'll wait for Haswell and it's greatly improved integrated graphics, which should match up reasonably well against low-midrange discrete laptop cards. As long as they don't go crazy with the screen resolution it should be fine for most games.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So it's an ultrabook with a discrete mobile GPU, but the lower keyboard portion has been folded allll the way the the back and the keyboard & trackpad have vanished, and some control sticks and buttons have been added to the side?
    I am perfectly fine with this. It is an excellent development, and has immediately put it above the hordes of ARM-based tablets with anaemic GPUs and no compatibility with your existing games.

7. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

This is crying out for a high-end Trinity chip and a lower price, combined with a competent IPS panel around 1600x900 resolution (running games at 1080p at 10" is detrimental to performance for essentially no gain).

8. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

There are a lot of choices surrounding this that I don't understand... if the battery doesn't last at least 10 hours I wouldn't be interested. Personally I think the concept is awesome, but there is absolutely no way I would pay that much money. If the price was lower, the hardware was trimmed back a little bit, and the battery could be made to last at least a flight across the US then I think it could actually be pretty successful.

As is I just think people don't understand the demands of hardware like in terms of power consumption. Power means heat too and plenty of people already bitch about that with laptops. I would love this to be successful but I'm sceptical...

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I don't normally do things like this, but I predict no one is going to buy this. No one.

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I'd buy one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

11. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

so.. Fiona is gonna be fatter but have more umph!
    just like real life then.

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I really don't see this working. Sure people want good specs, but its going to be far too heavy (an ipad is just about light enough for a tablet). People will barely be able to lift it up. Maybe if it had an 8" screen it might be a bit better.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

46" TV directly in front of you secured and resting on shoulder straps

Backpack containing a Temjin TJ11 with water cooled i7 and 690's