1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding Frustrations!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by exaviorn, 28 May 2009.

1. exaviorn

exaviorn What's a Dremel?

Hi
    I have only just got into folding at home following the article in the latest cpc mag. However I have some problems with folding....
    I have about 10 pc's in the house (laptops and Desktops) that are old and unused, the max pc I have to use for folding is a Ibm pentium 4 desktop, I also have some descent pentium 4 IBM laptops too.

Is there any way of me combining all the processing power of these old pc's and contribute it to one single folding PC (Or linux Desktop)? Otherwise my old pc's are not really going to do that much working on their own.

Thanks
    Exaviorn

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You can use the same username for all clients but you can't cluster them

3. exaviorn

Thanks...
    So if I fold under my username,my other folding pc's will share the Protein together?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You'll still get 10 different proteins but all the points will go to the same username

5. exaviorn

Ok thanks :D
    Btw: Should I run my cpu speed at 100% or will that potentialy melt my pc (fan is quite loud at times)? My current folding cpu is a pentium 4 2.80 ghz with 2 GB ram.
    How much should I expect to get (ppd) from it?

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Your CPU will run at 100% load when it's folding anyway, unless you specify otehrwise, and I'm not sure that you can actually run it at less.

7. exaviorn

the current pc im using (my home pc using windows) is just using a system tray one: you can change the cpu usage in the advanced configurations box.
    should I put it on full??

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

From experience the P4's dont produce much PPD bud, I know every little helps but I would see what power they draw before getting them all running to see if its worth while.

See my thread here where ive done a bit of playing with old P4's - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=169000

9. Unicorn

Sorry I was wrong, you can change that in the console client as well (only client I use) but I always leave it at 100% because all my folding rigs are dedicated.

10. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

I fold mostly on p4/celys of all ages and while the ppd is comparativly small if its what you got go for it!

be aware though folding on laptops set cpu usage to 50-60% max (or better still dont do it at all-folding and laptops dont really mix) as the fan will hit 100% and stay there burning out v.quickly.

for desktops though 100% all the way! see how you get on get the folding bug then watch as you start to upgrade and buy new kit every month...:naughty:

11. Unicorn

Every month? What's this tomfoolery? :hehe: I wish I could curb it to once a month :wallbash:

Trying to save money for ze farm!

12. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

If only solar energy was cheap. Id gladly run everything i could get my hands on. Fingers crossed for the old Lotto.:D

13. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

Once a months is enough for me to buy hardware...

although its more to do with my poor wage then wants, when pay day comes so does a new gpu purchace! but then no petrol for me car! so walk to work month when i buy stuff... foldings not addictive honest!

still holding out for a lotto win:hehe: