1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC-ACC-EXTREME

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Keith_Whi, 29 May 2009.

1. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

After getting up in the sunshine this morning and finding my GTX 260 very hot crunching through a batch of 511 pointers :-( I am contemplating buying something along the lines of THIS but the reviews are a bit mixed on the fitting if it.

Any of you guys tried these?

Or is there anything else along these lines that you can recommend?

Cheers

Keith.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Honestly I am very reluctant to fit anything other than AC aftermarket air coolers to my GPU's, after the success that I have had with a very wide range of their products over the years I can vouch for their coolers 100%. I have a lot of AC HSF's cooling my folding hardware at the moment, and none of it ever gets really hot.

It's pretty warm and sunny over here today as well, and all my 8800's temps are well within acceptable limits, and that's with them all overclocked and folding 24/7. I haven't used that particular AC cooler before but really if the rest are anything to go by, it's going to be excellent.

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

No direct experience because of two practical points that made me choose not to buy these.
    1) All the hot air gets dumped into your case, so good airflow throughout is needed.
    2) They are big, stopping any use of the TWO slots beneath the card.

Are these points relevant to your system?

4. Keith_Whi

Uni, cheers for the reply. Good to hear that as this is not an area I have delved into before.

The only thing that bothers me is the requirement to remove a 'collar' from around the processor which looks tricky but think I'll give it a go as now the hotter months are coming I would feel better with the extra cooling.

Chris, due to the folding I run this P.C with the side off as even though I have 2x120 fans at front and rear and really good cable management it still sits at around 90c when folding 511 pointers with it on, which although not extreme still bothers me. I prefer around 65c which is what I got it down to this AM by whacking the fan upto 85%, but that little fan won't cope with that for months on end me thinks!!

This is my gaming P.C and so although i have a sound card fitted it is right at the bottom of the board so size doesn't matter in this case.

Cheers for the replies guys think I may order 1 tomorrow.

Keith.

5. Keith_Whi

O.k,

Installed it a couple of days ago and I have to say I'm impressed. It has been folding away for 24 hours now munching on various WU's and the temp has not been above 49c with the fans on 50%. :D

I think that is quite impressive. What ya reckon?

It's much quieter too.

Only small issues are:

The heatsink at the plug end needs modding slightly to clear.
    It's a little heavy. Causes the unsupported end to drop slightly and this is a little of a concern as a slight touch causes it to 'No VGA detected'. OK as long as I don't poke it........

Any ideas as how I can support this without it looking unsightly?

Cheers,

Keith.

P.S Gonna post this on the hardware forum incase some peeps don't visit here.

6. Unicorn

Hmm I am aware that AC HSF's are bulky compared to stock coolers (it's what allows them to have such good cooling power) but none of mine have ever caused any errors like that when touched. Possibly support it from underneatch with a piece of non conducting material? Maybe a piece of plastic pipe or something. It'll be hard without making it look like a botch :(

7. Keith_Whi

The teething problems seem to have sorted themselves now. I can poke my card without it failing, don't understand what that was all about. MUST stop poking V card.....

Managed to get a good OC on it now and it still won't hit 50c with the fans on 50%! 756/1566/

Check it out!

[​IMG]

Very happy with that, what ya think?

Keith.

8. Unicorn

Nice going, that's a big improvement!