1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it MySpace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 6 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

http://www.myspace.com/gooses_nest

I don't blog, i like to keep some things to myself! I do not have an urge to share everything with everyone, but thats just me i think. All of the people on my friends list i know, apart from Joushua Radin, he's an amazing musician, i was on his official site and saw a link to his myspace profile!

So anyway, this is me, or at least part of it, enjoy :D

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've never understood what drive people to blog and I really don't see much point. Worklogs (workblogs?) for projects like we have here on Bit I can understand, but essentially writing an online diary? No thanks!

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I tend to avoid Myspace for two reasons:
    1. The people who use it tend to be either emo or chavs with possibly some of the worst spelling/grammar to be found on the internet
    2. Everytime I go on someone's page the web-design, layout and lagginess of the page almost makes me ill
    I don't mind looking at the odd MSN space because it's usually people I know (who don't fit the criteria just used) and it's generally a nicer 'space' to browse and use. Myspace does seem to have turned into the lazy-boy's alternative though; plenty of bands now seem to have a Myspace page instead of bothering with a real website. Sure, it's a simple alternative, but it tells me they aren't as serious and/or dedicated about their music as they could be.
    Don't get me wrong, I think personal blogging is a good idea to an extent, but spilling out your life to millions of potential readers and keeping nothing to yourself seems a bit of a 'last resort' if you ask me- it appears that a lot of people simply do this to either gain sympathy or are under the assumption that people will post comments offering their own solutions to their personal problems.

<A88>

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I've only recently started my blog, and the only personal stuff is about my nuisance neighbour. I write about it to get it off my chest, it's an enormously irritating thing and I have no legal way of releasing the anger.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Oh its no end of fun seeing what people have bought on ebay...

7. Mother-Goose

couldn't be more right! lol i'm neither of the first, and as for the second, i tried to make it as usable as possible whilst still being a little cool, i think i've done the best that i could given the circumstances, im never blogging though, why would i want everyone to know what was annoying me?

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Jul 2006
  8. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

No, no, no, no! It's not fascinating, it's ****ing dull! Sure, myspace has it's uses but 90% of it is banal crap.

9. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

quite handy if u like someone and know they have a myspace... you can almost do a background check to see what there into music etc.. whether they like flowers or chocolats.. or neither..

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I had thoughts similar to this article a few weeks ago. If you could link a person's his/her forum-names, email-adresses, myspace website, ebay history, msnspace, etc.. then it's quite scary what you can find out about them.

I guess most people don't worry about it that much.. I have a myspace, but don't use it that intensivly.. I don't blog on it either.

L

11. Canadian_minx

Canadian_minx What's a Dremel?

I avoid myspace entirely, only got an account there to get my friends to stop whinning about me joining. Other then toss on a Matrix layout and Godsmack music there's nothing really on there of interest. I prefer to post stuff on livejournal so I can have greater control over the flow of emo'ness coming from other users.

12. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

This man speaks the truth! What I love is when people make the text either:
    • A slightly different shade of the background colour
    • A font that looks like handwriting
    • Both
    It really does enhance readability tenfold. When I log onto the crappily designed minefield of a site with emo music in the background, Javascript snow and total misuse of the hover function on text, I really want to have to struggle to read the writing - isn't that the point?

:grr:

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I dunno, it makes sense to me. The world is full of pathetic, lonley people (like me) and when you have no one to share with, sharing with the world is the next best thing. I don't have a blog per se, though that's mostly because I can't be bothered to update anything regularly. I do have a website for posting my work on and even though I know that no one is paying attention, it still feels good to put what I have to say out there in the world.

14. quack

quack Minimodder

I hate myspace.

Tom is NOT my friend.

I hate how everyone seems to have a page, it's so hard to avoid it completely, as much as I'd love to.

Bands and artists don't seem to use their official sites at all for new information any more, they tell you to go look at their myspace page to find out what they're up to. Why?? Can't they use their proper site like they used to? Ugh!

And what's with all the damn videos that play "onload", and the myspace music player that also starts automatically. I do love having 3/4 videos and a song playing all at the same time... after locking up my browser for a few seconds as the plugins are activated.

Then there's the horrific use of colour. I do love trying to read text that's almost the same colour as the background colour of the table. Not to mention the background images which are usually hotlinked from someone's else's webspace. I've had to block images from my own domains due to a few people on myspace stealing my bandwidth.

Just because it's soooooo easy to set up a page, doesn't mean you should!

---

I only have a myspace account so I don't see that damn login page when I absolutely have to look at someone's page (when viewing pics or videos because that's the only place they put anything new).

I'd never use my account for anything else, definitely not for blogging. That's why I have my own domain running Movable Type.

15. Mother-Goose

lol in that case have a look at mine and see what you think, i reckon its got pretty good usability for a myspace...space lol

16. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

True enough, yours is certainly one of the best I've seen in that regard. I see a challenge coming on - find the worst MySpace ever.

17. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

MySpace is full of Emo's in my opinion.

FaceBook is where its at, but you have to go to one of the universities or schools/colleges that is on there already.

Almost everyone I know is on there now following the craze of being added that took up the whole of last term. :)

18. Canadian_minx

Canadian_minx What's a Dremel?

I have a facebook account...got it just like MySpace, friends wanted me to get one so I did. Never updated, never logged on.

19. ToiletGamer

ToiletGamer What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: Emo kids galore. I respect anyone who dares spend over an hour browsing that site.

Also why does almost everyone on Myspace take pictures of a reflection in a mirror...and why do they never look directly at the camera...and why are all their pictures in black and white. Damn emo kids.

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I have a facebook and myspace, personally, i never really check my facebook since its just the same old crap but it is a kinda good way of keeping track of aquaintences that go to different schools and such. Myspace is a different story. I really like how the author of this column put it when he talked about how its become an one-up kind of thing and most people on myspace are simply starving for more attention, especially when they do a bulletin any time they get a new picture/song, or change one letter on their page. Howver, it is good to see what my favorite band is up to and i turned my myspace into a video library of my favorite youtube videos, more for myself than anyone else though.

And to address the emo kids, yeah they're kinda lame with the weird clothes and what-not but i actually like the music since there's something behind it...but my emo-ness stops there

Tags: Add Tags