1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Playstation 4 could introduce PS1/PS2 compatibility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 29 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Emulating a PS2 on those weedy 1.6Ghz Jaguar cores, impressive if they pull it off.

Of course, having access to every last detail of the hardware will make it somewhat more efficient than anybody else's emulation I suppose..:))

3. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Very nice! Looking forward to trying it out on my Playstation :)

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

you can run the pcsx2 (ps2 emulator) on a core 2 duo e2160

or 1.6ghz dual core. no problem on the jag

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The PS2 only had a 300MHz processor. I think they're okay. :D

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yes but this the internet...someone has to attempt to bash AMD

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

And consoles, don't forget people like to bash consoles on here.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Am I missing something? Every time some Sony news comes out, I gain a little bit more respect for them. Everything they seem to be doing, seems to benefit the customer or experience. I'm confused, it never used to be like this.

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I hope it's a trend, but don't get your hopes up yet, As mentioned Sony is really inconsistent with where they stand,I remember the PS3 was like this when it was released, the big thing back then was the linux support, which sony removed later on aside from the early PS2 support which was later lacking a few years later.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Or it could have something to do with the fact that emulating something is considerably more processing intensive than the hardware being emulated. This is well known.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking that same thing lately. PS+ is a steal, the indie push on the vita has turned out really well, their phones no longer languish behind the competition, PS4, PS now.
    Then there's the quirky stuff like like the QX series and the new car head unit they announced at CES.

Sony are full of win these days.

*speaking of PlayStation emulation, I recently returned to it and my god epsxe is a plugin minefield these days. I wish they would get away from plugins like the dolphin team have.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Eurogamer has some comparison shots of what I presume to be GT4, they are pretty impressive all things considered.

Whilst I have a PS2 in my collection, this is still pretty exciting. Whilst it is unlikely (considering the updateded assets) it would be cool if I could simply stick a PS2 disc into the PS4 and it would simply play.

Now if either Microsoft or Sony could do a deal with Sega and produce somethiing similar with the Dreamcast I would be VERY happy. Not going to happen but I can dream can't I...

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The whole Linux thing they cut as they felt it was hindering sales of games. The PS2 support wasn't viable due to cost, they needed to trim everything they could to get units out, remember that was 7 years ago and they had a fight with HD-DVD and the CHEAPER XBOX360 to win. They have the cheaper console and their rival is using Blu-ray now.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Finally, a feature I give a toss about.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

A nice feature but to be honest since they have been remastering old games to do HD versions I'd much rather play those than the originals, same old game but updated to match the tech you are using today like high Def screens.

GT4 would look good as it actually had a 1080 HD option on release on PS2 but most other games would benefit from rework.

Tags: Add Tags