1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Windows 7 gave my PC insomnia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This happened to me when I first installed Vista.

3. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Hmmm. With XP, I had a similar problem - If I hibernated the PC, I would be awoken at 7.12 am every day. Doing a full shutdown prevented this. I did a new install of XP and it changed time to 02.18am instead, which makes me think it's not a Wake-on-LAN thing.

Now I'm on Windows7, I shall see if your tip helps. Thanks.

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Haha, I experienced this too. Only when I tried accessing my laptop from my Xbox 360. Then I thought, wait, I probably need to wake my laptop off. Then the lights came on and it turned itself on. lmao

5. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

This has happened to me with both 7RC and Vista, very annoying to get woken up by piercing blue leds!

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That's nothing. My computer was fully Shut Down, and managed to turn itself on at about half 3 the other morning.

I mumbled something along the lines of "What the ****" in my semi-conscious state, turned it off again, and went to bed. Nothing since. Very odd.

And since there is no OS running that can turn the PC on, I am still to this day confused as hell.

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Was it Media Center Edition? MCE wakes the PC at the same time every day to update the EPG, then doesn't bother putting it back into standby, but there's a tool to change the time (no way to change it through Windows natively however!)

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It is a driver issue.
    I recall the same by many people who tried Vista beta.. but was fixed once Vista was out and official drivers (and sometimes BIOS update) was released.
    I expect the same as under Win7.

You can see the Event log of WIn7 to see what makes it wake up, it could be a device that does this.
    I have Win7 RC 64-bit on my laptop (dual boot with Vista), it's the Latitude E6400 with the Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M. And despite having Vista 64-bit drivers, and Win7 beta drivers for the video card, it doesn't have any sleep problem.

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Low power modes have never ever worked correctly for me on any computer I have ever had with XP/Vista/7. I don't bother with it anymore.

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

My old computer had a bad power supply, I'd try and turn it on then wait....and wait....and wait....untill about 10 hours afterwards at 5am it would decide to turn on XD gotta love dodgy power supplies :)

11. GoodBytes

That is because you do something that you should not do... probably attaching a bad device, or enabled USB wake-up, or play with the BIOS sleep option.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

do you have an optical mouse? that was my brother issues his mouse was sensitive to movement that the slightest vibration could set it off. Personally I have had no issues with sleep but Im running on my EeePC 1000he.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

An issue I have encountered also. However, I didn't do any searching for an answer as I'd discovered (by accident rather than design) that if I had the system disconnected from my home network, it didn't wake up from Sleep unless I told it to. As soon as it was talking to the network, it would wake itself up after a few minutes of being asleep. I assumed this was Wake On LAN, so disabled any wakeup related features of the network cards.

dicobalt has a point, Goodbytes - pretty much every system I've overclocked has had issues with low-power states once taken more than about 5% out of spec. In XP it usually resulted in Standby refusing to come back, or just plain resetting the system rather than going into Standby... in Vista/Win7 it either refuses to wake up, or goes into Sleep then immediately goes back to the Windows login prompt.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The only device that sleep worked perfectly for me is also my EeePC, though I have the 4G.

15. GoodBytes

I have 10-11 systems that I build with 2000, XP, Vista, Win7 in the course of my life (considered as official builds). Excluding any beta version and considerate latest BIOS and drivers, all my system overclocked or not, sleep and hibernates all correctly. Even back in days where I was too young to build computers and did not even have the internet, Win95 and 98 worked correctly for us, I and my older brothers and parents don't recall such issue.

My experience was always assemble the system, install Windows then driver and system is up and running correctly. After OC, it still works correctly.
    If OEM's can do it, so can you.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009
  16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

slightly off topic but i installed 7 on my laptop with a brand new 320Gb 7200rpm hitachi drive and it runs amazingly smooth ! I am really impressed so far by both my laptop and 7's lightness. I knew it ran perfectly on my pc but that wasn't a surprise. My 3 year old laptop however is impressing me

Dell XPS M1210 - Core Duo 2Ghz - 2.5GbDDR667 - GeFoce Go7400 - 320Gb 7200rpm

17. UnFixed

UnFixed Unknown

I had a printer a few years back that went bad. It started turning on randomly and would attempt to filter through the sheets and print random lettering. And this was UNPLUGGED from any computer and/or network.

Those old printers were old, and mine scared the **** outta me.

18. UnFixed

UnFixed Unknown

Those old printer were loud*

*typo*

19. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

thanks for the fix, i had resorted to scheduled shutdowns. it was really annoying sometimes for example, when i'd put the computer to sleep and it would resume almost immediately.

20. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

had the same problem when i installed windows 7 on my htpc, was a fairly easy problem to figure out with the aid of google tho.

The thing I am currently banging my head against is when i hibernate the machine (via remote control), when i wake it from hibernate (still via remote control) it powers up, then goes off again. Always wakes and starts working the second time i wake it. Very odd.

Tags: Add Tags