1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Yay coil whine!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 27 Oct 2015.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So finally got round to building my desk and setting up my pc in the new house and after seeing Parge's excellent temps in his new build, I thought I'd check what they were like up against a full custom loop (my memory is like a sieve and I couldn't remember for the life of me what mine got up to).

Fired up heaven to be greeted with the most awful noise coming from my gpu. It honestly sounds like the borrowers have set up a sheep sheering and tattoo business in there. I seem to recall having a little bit of whine when I first got it that died down after a bit, but nothing like this.

With my gpu being purchased less than a year ago I'll probably have to go back to the retailer, but what are the chances of me being able to return it to scan for a replacement after 11 months? Anyone had any experiences with them over a similar issue? Would I be better off going straight to evga or even waiting a month then going to them?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I might even give you a click of the man with the massive yellow schlong.

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Does it whine outside of benchmark/stress test software? If not then just leave it, Loads of cards whine when in heaven / 3d mark but are perfectly fine in normal gaming.

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes, test it in game rather than in benchmark. A 670 of mine used to whine during furmark runs but I wouldn't hear it any other time.

I'm sure the retailer will try and fob you off on this matter.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe that's why it stopped previously then, as I stopped benching once I'd set my oc up. Will try a proper game tomorrow and see.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I imagine it will be fine. I've built a loads of gaming systems this year, stress test all cards before they leave and the only one I've not had coil whine was a sapphire 290, all the nvidia cards did, especially the EVGA ones.

6. The_Crapman

Nope. Tried on batman and still sounds like there's an old hdd crunching numbers in there. I've left it running for a while see if stretching its legs does anything.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Evidence of EVGA willing to RMA for coil whine here

8. The_Crapman

Thanks mate. EVGAs reputation for good customer service was one of the reasons I went with them, so hopefully if it continues to be an issue they'll do me a solid. 2 and half hours of heaven hadn't done much for the coil whine, other than upping the fan speeds a little so it was less audible. I'll give it a longer run tomorrow see if it improves, or if the misses can cope working next to it.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I reckon just go for it with EVGA. I wouldn't think whiney coils will change over time, its an intrinsic mechanical property of the components. If all else fails, you could go with a big lump of hot glue.

10. The_Crapman

Yeh hasn't improved at all so will get a ticket raised. Although you know how much I love a big load of hot goo.

EDIT: Oh wait you said glue. Awkward....

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Almost every GPU I've owned has produced coil whine in benchmarks. It's often caused when the frame rate goes through the roof. It's a necessary evil if you're into benching your card a lot.

For every day use, turn on V-Sync, or set a frame limit, in your GPU software and it'll likely vanish completely.

12. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Returned my 6970 after 2.5 years with a memory fault and I got a brand new 7870 as a replacement. Scan are the bomb with RMA's in my experience!